What are the benefits of pursuing a combined degree in astronomy and physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter mace2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: A degree in 'just astronomy' is not as useful as a degree in physics. A degree in astronomy+physics, or just astronomy, offers more benefits, such as the ability to apply physics to the study of physical, macroscopic space and the universe.
mace2
Hi all.

I am transfering to the university of victoria this fall and have been planning on majoring in astronomy. They offer an honours program, which I believe I will apply for.

I've been reading the forums somewhat and I see a degree in 'just astronomy' isn't as useful as a physics degree. I intend to go to grad school but there is of course the possibility that it doesn't work out.

The university offers a combined degree in astronomy+physics, as well as just astronomy in both honour/major flavours.

Like I said, my intention was to shoot for astronomy, but I was wondering if it's worth it to instead try for the combined astronomy+physics degree. Would choosing one over the other put me at a disadvantage?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what about astrophysics?

Sorry, that's what I meant by astronomy.

Any opinions?

The astronomy programs that I have curiously read through seem to resemble a more 'experimental' aspect of astrophysics, or experimental physics applied to the study of physical, macroscopic space and the universe. Is the combined major geared more towards the experimentation or application of physics to the macroscopic universe or does it involve some theory and abstract maths?

The astrophysics programs that I have looked at seem to describe a more theoretical (perhaps mathematical) approach to the understanding of the macroscopic universe.

My conception of the astrophysicist is one who models and predicts phenomena, objects, events, etc. for the astronomer to look for and verify. Are your interests primarily in theory and abstract mathematics or do you prefer the use of mathematics merely as tool to derive and understand tangible, experimental results?

If you are highly passionate about theory and abstract maths, then I would suggest looking into a combine maths+astrophysics degree. However, if you are interested in the experimental aspect of physics, then I would suggest the astronomy+physics degree.

Thanks for your input.

I'm specifically deciding between a major of just astrophysics, or a combined major of astro+physics, though. I doubt I would want a combined math+astro major. Any more thoughts??

1. What is a Combined Astro+Phys degree?

A Combined Astro+Phys degree is an undergraduate degree program that combines the study of astronomy and physics. It typically includes courses in both subjects and allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the physical laws governing the universe.

2. What are the career options for someone with a Combined Astro+Phys degree?

Graduates with a Combined Astro+Phys degree can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, academia, engineering, and data analysis. They may also find opportunities in government agencies, such as NASA, or in the private sector.

3. Is a Combined Astro+Phys degree more challenging than a single major in either astronomy or physics?

It depends on the individual's strengths and interests. A Combined Astro+Phys degree requires a strong foundation in both subjects, but it also allows students to explore the connections between them and potentially find more interdisciplinary research opportunities.

4. Can I still pursue a graduate degree in either astronomy or physics with a Combined Astro+Phys degree?

Yes, a Combined Astro+Phys degree can prepare students for graduate studies in either subject. However, it is important to check the specific requirements of the graduate program you are interested in to ensure that you have taken the necessary courses.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that make someone successful in a Combined Astro+Phys degree?

Successful students in a Combined Astro+Phys degree program tend to have strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a passion for both astronomy and physics. They should also be able to think critically and have a strong attention to detail.