Role of Selenium in Xerography.

• Thread starter shehri
  • Start date
In summary, Selenium is used in Xerographer printers as a photoconductor and part of the print toner. It is positively charged before being exposed to the image and this charge is static before printing starts. The positive charges will then mix with the negative charges of the Aluminium after absorbing light.
shehri

Homework Statement

I've not been able to understand the role of Selenium in Xerograper pronters.Plz. if somebody has indepth infos. share.thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a pretty basic answer, but I know that selenium is used as a photoconductor and also as part of the print toner that is used to reproduce images put through the copier.

Hi tandooricjhicken dear,

I know its overall role but tell me whether Selenium'll be positively charged before being exposed to the image or at the time of exposition?I think it'll be charged statically before printed starts.But what'll be positive charges & negative Aluminium then which're in state of contact.Will static positive charges conduct /mix with negative charges only after absorbing light?Plz. clear me about it.Thanks.

1. What is the role of selenium in xerography?

Selenium is a crucial element in the process of xerography, also known as electrophotography. It is used as a photoconductor, meaning it has the ability to convert light energy into electrical energy. In xerography, selenium is used to create an electrostatic charge on the photoconductive surface, which is then used to attract toner particles and create an image on paper.

2. How does selenium help in creating high-quality images in xerography?

Selenium is known for its high photoelectric sensitivity, which means it can efficiently convert light energy into electrical energy. This property of selenium makes it an ideal material for producing sharp and clear images in xerography. It also has a high resistance to heat and chemical reactions, ensuring that the photoconductor remains stable and produces consistent results over time.

3. Can selenium be replaced with other materials in xerography?

While other materials such as cadmium sulfide and zinc oxide have been used as photoconductors in the past, selenium remains the most widely used material in xerography due to its superior properties. Its high sensitivity, stability, and durability make it difficult to replace with other materials without compromising the quality and efficiency of the xerographic process.

4. What is the importance of selenium coating in the drum of a xerographic machine?

The drum in a xerographic machine is responsible for carrying the image and transferring it onto paper. The drum is coated with a thin layer of selenium, which is essential for the successful functioning of the machine. This selenium coating allows for the creation of a uniform electrostatic charge, ensuring that the image is accurately reproduced on paper and preventing any smudging or distortion.

5. Are there any potential health or environmental concerns related to the use of selenium in xerography?

Selenium is considered to be a relatively safe material to use in xerographic processes. However, exposure to high levels of selenium can be harmful, and proper precautions should be taken during its handling and disposal. In recent years, efforts have been made to reduce the amount of selenium used in xerography and find alternative materials that are safer for both human health and the environment.