(special relativity) derivation of gamma with approximation of v c

In summary, using the binomial expansion, we can derive the following results for values of v << c: a) γ ~= 1 + 1/2 v2/c2, b) γ ~= 1 - 1/2 v2/c2, c) γ - 1 ~= 1 - 1/γ =1/2 v2/c2. This can be achieved by replacing v^2/c^2 with x and using the binomial expansion for (1-x)^(-1/2), which can also be thought of as the first two terms in the Taylor series for (1-x)^(-1/2).
msimmons

Homework Statement

"Use the binomial expansion to derive the following results for values of v << c.
a) γ ~= 1 + 1/2 v2/c2
b) γ ~= 1 - 1/2 v2/c2
c) γ - 1 ~= 1 - 1/γ =1/2 v2/c2"
(where ~= is approximately equal to)

Homework Equations

As far as I can tell, just
γ = (1-v2/c2)-1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I have no idea where to apply the v << c approximation, other than right after an expansion (keeping the first few terms and dropping the rest, if it were something like (c+v)n

so all I have really is circular math starting with 1-v2/c2 and ending with c2-v2.. which doesn't help.

for example..
γ = (1-v2/c2)-1/2
γ-2 = 1 - v2/c2
at this point I would multiply by c2 or c, and attempt to continue, but I can't figure out what to do.

Just a hint on where to go would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Replace [tex]v^2/c^2[/tex] with x, thus x << 1. Then do a binomial expansion of [tex](1 - x)^{-1/2}[/tex].

I was under the impression that the binomial theorem worked only when n is a natural number.. so I rose the power of each side by 4, then 6 to see what would happen... (their negatives, actually)
my result (if m is the number I'm raising the eqn to) is essentially:
[tex]\gamma=(1-m/2*v^2/c^2)^{-m}[/tex]

msimmons said:
I was under the impression that the binomial theorem worked only when n is a natural number..
No. It works just fine for negative numbers and fractions.

You can also think of it as the first two terms in the Taylor series for (1-x)^(-1/2).

Working with the binomial expansion,
if I want to evaluate [tex](1-x)^{-1/2}[/tex] I thought I would get something like...

[tex](\stackrel{-1/2}{0})1-(\stackrel{-1/2}{1})x+(\stackrel{-1/2}{2})x^2...[/tex]

I thought that was right, but [tex](\stackrel{-1/2}{1})[/tex] and the likes can't be evaluated, can they?

Hope my attempt at binomial coefficients aren't too funky looking.

Just do it as a Taylor series to avoid these complicated questions.

msimmons said:
Working with the binomial expansion,
if I want to evaluate [tex](1-x)^{-1/2}[/tex] I thought I would get something like...

[tex](\stackrel{-1/2}{0})1-(\stackrel{-1/2}{1})x+(\stackrel{-1/2}{2})x^2...[/tex]
It's simpler than you think. Read this: Binomial Expansion

Doh... thank you. that solves all of them.

1. What is the equation for gamma in the derivation of special relativity?

The equation for gamma (γ) in the derivation of special relativity is: γ = 1 / √(1 - v²/c²), where v is the relative velocity between the observer and the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is the equation for gamma derived?

The equation for gamma is derived using the Lorentz transformation, which is a set of equations that describe how space and time coordinates appear to an observer in a different frame of reference. The derivation involves manipulating the equations for length contraction and time dilation in special relativity.

3. What does the approximation v ≪ c mean in the derivation of gamma?

The approximation v ≪ c means that the relative velocity between the observer and the moving object is much smaller than the speed of light. This allows us to simplify the equation for gamma to γ ≈ 1 + 1/2 (v²/c²), making it easier to calculate and understand.

4. Why is the approximation v ≪ c used in the derivation of gamma?

The approximation v ≪ c is used because it is a common scenario in everyday life. Most objects and observers have velocities that are much smaller than the speed of light, so this approximation allows us to apply the equations of special relativity to real-life situations.

5. Can the derivation of gamma be used for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light?

No, the derivation of gamma using the approximation v ≪ c is only valid for objects with velocities much smaller than the speed of light. When dealing with objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, the full equation for gamma (γ = 1 / √(1 - v²/c²)) must be used to accurately calculate the effects of special relativity.