Conservation of Momentum in Inelastic Collisions

In summary, the conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision, even if the objects involved stick together. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, but in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost. The equation for conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions involves the masses and initial velocities of the objects, and external forces can also affect the conservation. This principle is applied in various real-life situations, such as car crashes, sports, and industries for designing safer equipment.
kevina
Can someone explain to me the vector nature of momentum in a case where two objects collide and stick together?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about:
[tex]m_1\vec{v}_1 + m_2\vec{v}_2 = (m_1 + m_2)\vec{v}_f[/tex]

Read this: Inelastic Collisions

Last edited:
Yes! I remember seeing that link once before. I was looking for it but couldn't find it. Thanks Doc Al. :)

What is the conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions?

The conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision, even if the objects involved stick together. This means that the total mass and velocity of the objects before the collision must equal the total mass and velocity after the collision.

How do inelastic collisions differ from elastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning the objects involved bounce off each other and retain their original shapes and sizes. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound energy. This results in the objects sticking together or deforming.

What is the equation for conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions?

The equation for conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions is:
m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)vf
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities, and vf is their final velocity after the collision.

What factors affect the conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions?

The conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions is affected by the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved. The more massive an object is, the more momentum it will have. Similarly, objects with higher initial velocities will have more momentum compared to objects with lower initial velocities. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions.

How is the conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions applied in real-life situations?

The conservation of momentum in inelastic collisions is applied in various real-life situations, such as car crashes and sports. In car crashes, the principle is used to determine the force of impact and the amount of damage caused. In sports, such as football and hockey, the conservation of momentum is used to calculate the transfer of energy between players during collisions. It is also used in industries for designing safer equipment and machinery.