Comparing Negative Currents: Which is Bigger?

In summary, negative currents are the opposite flow of electrical charge compared to conventional currents and are represented by a negative sign. They are essentially the opposite of positive currents and can be greater or smaller in magnitude. Negative currents can be measured and compared using an ammeter, and they can be larger than positive currents depending on their direction and magnitude. The magnitude of negative currents can be affected by resistance, voltage, and the material the current flows through.
higherme
I have a question about current

If i am comparing two currents which are both negative, how do i know which one is bigger

For example,
current 1 is -1.00E-6 V
current 2 is -4.00E-6 V

I'm guessing that current 2 is bigger, and the negative sign is ignored

am i correct?
help please

Physics news on Phys.org
oops...
the above units should be in A(amp)

The sign only reflects the polarization of the electrode. The amplitude is given by the number. Which is larger, 0.000004 or 0.000001?

1. What are negative currents?

Negative currents are the flow of electrical charge in the opposite direction of the conventional current flow. They are commonly represented with a negative sign (-) to indicate the direction of flow.

2. How do negative currents compare to positive currents?

Negative currents are essentially the opposite of positive currents. They flow in the opposite direction and have a negative charge. In terms of magnitude, negative currents can be greater than or less than positive currents, depending on the situation.

3. How do you measure and compare negative currents?

Negative currents can be measured using an ammeter, which measures the amount of current flowing through a circuit. To compare negative currents, you can simply look at the numerical values of the currents and determine which one is larger.

4. Are negative currents always smaller than positive currents?

No, negative currents can be larger than positive currents. It all depends on the direction and magnitude of the current flow. For example, if a negative current has a larger magnitude than a positive current, then it is considered to be larger.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of negative currents?

The magnitude of negative currents can be affected by the resistance of the circuit, the voltage applied, and the type of material the current is flowing through. Changes in any of these factors can impact the magnitude of the negative current.