Where Can I Find a Complete Chart of ASTM Grain Size Numbers?

• Thread starter anthology
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation includes a question about finding the ASTM grain-size number of a ceramic material based on the number of grains per square inch in a photomicrigraph at 200x. A link is provided for more information, and the use of the linear intercept method is suggested. The conversation also mentions a sample with a grain number of 19.5, which exceeds the highest number on the existing chart in E112. The person is seeking a complete chart of ASTM grain-size numbers.
anthology
ı have a little problem for this problem i found 2 different answer...

Question:İf there Are 400 grains per square inch on photomicrigraph of a ceramic material at 200x.What is its ASTM grain-size number...?

Thanks for your attention...

Physics news on Phys.org
thnaks for attetion :) its very useful... :D thanks...

Hello, I would like to know where can I find a complete chart of ASTM Grain Size numbres. Since the highest number in the chart in E112 is 14.3. And I have a sample whose Grain Number is 19.5.
Thanks for your help

What is ASTM Grain-size Number?

ASTM Grain-size Number is a measure of the average size of grains in a metal or alloy. It is determined by comparing the grain size of a sample to a standard chart and assigning a number based on the average grain size.

Why is ASTM Grain-size Number important in materials science?

Grain size has a significant impact on the mechanical properties of metals and alloys. A smaller grain size typically results in higher strength and hardness, while a larger grain size can lead to lower ductility and toughness. Therefore, ASTM Grain-size Number is an important factor to consider when designing and selecting materials for various applications.

How is ASTM Grain-size Number measured?

ASTM Grain-size Number is measured using a microscope with a calibrated eyepiece reticle. The sample is polished and etched to reveal the grain boundaries, and then the number of grains per square inch is counted and compared to the standard chart.

What is the range of ASTM Grain-size Numbers?

The ASTM Grain-size Number scale ranges from 1 (coarse grains) to 8 (fine grains). Each number represents a specific range of grains per square inch, with higher numbers indicating smaller grain sizes.

What factors can affect the ASTM Grain-size Number of a material?

The ASTM Grain-size Number of a material can be affected by various factors such as the composition, heat treatment, and processing of the material. For example, a higher cooling rate during solidification can result in a finer grain size, while a higher temperature may lead to larger grain sizes.