Displacement in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the problem involves a 0.27 kg mass suspended on a spring that is stretched 4.9 cm. The mass is then pulled down an additional 12.5 cm and released. After 0.42 seconds, the displacement from the equilibrium position is being asked for. The equations used are F=kx and ω=(k/x)^0.5. The solution involves finding the value of k, the angular velocity, and using the equation x(t) = Asin(ωt) to find the displacement relative to the equilibrium position, which is set at 4.9 cm in this problem. The final answer can be found by solving for A in the equation.
chukie
1. Hi! I am new to this forum. I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem. Thanks in advance!

A 0.27 kg mass is suspended on a spring that stretches a distance of 4.9 cm. The mass is then pulled down an additional distance of 12.5 cm and released. What's the displacement from the equilibrium position with the mass attached (in cm) after 0.42 s? Take up to be positive and use g = 9.81 m/s2.

Homework Equations

F=kx
ω(angular velocity)= (k/x)^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for k:
k=mg/x
k=(0.27*9.81)/4.9
k=0.54

Then I solved for the angular velocity:
ω=(0.54/0.27)^0.5
ω=squareroot 2

Then I tried to come up with an equation for displacement using the format:
x(t) = Asin(ωt)

i know that ω=root2
t=0.42

but how do i solve for A?? or what is A? should it be 4.9 or 12.5 or the sum of the two :confused: btw please correct me if I am wrong in my calculation. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
4.9 cm is the location of the equilibrium position. They're asking you to find the displacement after t seconds relative to the equilibrium position, so set your equilibrium position to 0. From the equilibrium position, they extended the displacement by 12.5 cm.

You know anything about S.H.M equations?

thanks! i got the answer now =)

1. What is displacement in simple harmonic motion?

Displacement in simple harmonic motion is the distance of an object from its equilibrium point at any given time. It is a measure of how far the object has moved from its starting position.

2. How is displacement related to amplitude in simple harmonic motion?

Displacement and amplitude are directly proportional in simple harmonic motion. As the amplitude increases, the displacement also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can displacement be negative in simple harmonic motion?

Yes, displacement can be negative in simple harmonic motion. This occurs when the object moves in the opposite direction of its starting point, towards the equilibrium point.

4. How is displacement calculated in simple harmonic motion?

Displacement in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula x = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase angle.

5. What is the relationship between displacement and period in simple harmonic motion?

Displacement and period in simple harmonic motion have an inverse relationship. As the period increases, the displacement decreases, and vice versa.