Particle in an infinite potential well, showing the uncertainty in x

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy level of a particle in an infinite potential well and how it relates to the uncertainty principle. By substituting the Hamiltonian into the energy equation, the momentum can be calculated. It is then shown that the uncertainty in the particle's position is less than the width of the well by a factor of n, using the uncertainty principle. However, there seems to be some confusion about the calculation and the uncertainty principle.
SuperNomad
I've got this question and I'm absolutely clueless, any help will be greatly appreciated:

The nth energy level for a particle of mass m confined in an infinite potential well is :

E = h^2n^2/8ml^2

where L is the width of the well and h is Planck’s constant. Assuming that the uncertainty in the particle’s momentum is equal to the momentum itself, show that the uncertainty in the particle’s position is less than the width of the well by a factor of n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out it's momentum. Calculate uncertainty. Use uncertainty principle. Hint: the Hamiltonian is [tex]\frac{p^2}{2m}[/tex].

Don't really know what 'hamiltonian' means but anyway I substituted in p^2/2m for E

so I get p^2/2m = h^2n^2/8ml^2

re-arranging for p I get: p = hn/2l

not entirely sure where to go from here.

"assuming that the uncertainty in the particle’s momentum is equal to the momentum itself"
Now use the uncertainty principle.

so delta(x) p > h-bar/2

delta(x) hn/2L > h-bar/2

delta(x) hn/2L > h/4pi

delta(x) > L/2pi(n)

What have I done wrong?

Last edited:

1. What is a "particle in an infinite potential well"?

A particle in an infinite potential well is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle that is confined within a certain region by an infinitely high potential barrier.

2. How does the uncertainty principle apply to the position of the particle in an infinite potential well?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum. In the case of a particle in an infinite potential well, the particle is confined to a specific region, resulting in a high level of uncertainty in its position and therefore a lower level of uncertainty in its momentum.

3. Why is the uncertainty in x greater for a particle in an infinite potential well compared to a free particle?

In a free particle, there are no restrictions on its movement, so the uncertainty in its position and momentum can be equally distributed. However, in an infinite potential well, the particle is confined to a specific region, resulting in a higher uncertainty in its position and a lower uncertainty in its momentum.

4. How does the size of the potential well affect the uncertainty in x for the particle?

The size of the potential well directly affects the uncertainty in x for the particle. A smaller potential well will result in a higher uncertainty in the position of the particle, while a larger potential well will result in a lower uncertainty in its position.

5. Can the uncertainty in x for a particle in an infinite potential well ever be completely eliminated?

No, the uncertainty principle states that there will always be a minimum level of uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle. This means that even in an infinitely small potential well, there will still be some uncertainty in the position of the particle.