What are Kruskal-Szekeres Coordinates in Relation to a Static Black Hole?

• Thread starter stevebd1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary: In fact, it is often the case that a completely new and unexpected idea will be met with skepticism by a referee, but if the arguments are clear and the work is honest, it may well get published. There are very few cases where a paper is outright rejected for publication. The most common outcome is that the authors are asked to make revisions and resubmit. In summary, the arxiv is an unreviewed pre-print server. Its contents should not be considered the gold standard and as an author, having a paper on arxiv does not mean that your work has been published. A paper on the arxiv is essentially in a state of limbo, waiting for the formal review process to begin.In summary, Krusk
stevebd1
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm currently looking at Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates in relation to a static black hole.

For the exterior region, the coordinates are-

[tex] R=\left(\frac{r}{2GM}-1\right)^{1/2}e^{r/4GM}cosh\left(\frac{t}{4GM}\right)[/tex]

For the interior-

[tex] R=\left(1-\frac{r}{2GM}\right)^{1/2}e^{r/4GM}sinh\left(\frac{t}{4GM}\right)[/tex]

where c = 1 and G, the gravitational constant, is kept explicit.

I've looked extensively on the web but can find very little as to explaining the equations in a bit more depth. I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what e represents and while I'm certain that c^2 appears adjacent to r in the first set of brackets, does it appear anywhere else in the equations? Also, would it be correct to assume that t represents time?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Check out http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schwp.html" site. It goes through the various co-ordinate representations of black holes and has some nice animations as well. I think it should answer your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link Wallace. I also found a paper that covered the subject 'Kruskal Coordinates and Mass of Schwarzschild Black Holes by' Abhas Mitra-

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9904162

Unfortunately, neither actually state what the quantities e and t are, I can only assume that e is energy and t is time but don't see how they would be incorporated into the equations. It appears to be taken for granted that e and t are understood but would appreciate confirmation as to what they are.

Last edited:
t is time, though of course it is a different time co-ordinate to that appearing in the Schwarzschild metric. I'm pretty sure that the e is just http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_%28mathematical_constant%29" (i.e. the same e as in Log_e = Ln).

Last edited by a moderator:
stevebd1 said:
Thanks for the link Wallace. I also found a paper that covered the subject 'Kruskal Coordinates and Mass of Schwarzschild Black Holes by' Abhas Mitra-

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9904162

Careful; the main results of this infamous and unpublished paper are quite wrong.

Thanks for the heads up George, I was under the impression that if a paper was on the arxiv website then it had passed some seal of approval, that doesn't appear to be the case; I'm assuming that Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates are still legite though. Regarding e being a constant and probably the log of something, what exactly would it be the log of?

I twigged within a couple of minutes of my reply that e is a constant as stipulated in the wikipedia link; Physics Forums appears to undergo some kind of maintanence around 7.45 and 8.15 am GMT (which would be around midnight PDT) so I couldn't edit my post. Does anyone have an idea of how time would be incorporated as t?

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Careful; the main results of this infamous and unpublished paper are quite wrong.

hello, i would like to know what result in the paper is wrong? it is the transformation itself?

I haven't read that paper in detail, but from the abstract it is drawing physical significance from the properties of a particular co-ordinate system. This is a big no no! Anything with physical meaning will be invariant (not co-ordinate dependant). So for instance, you should be able to demonstrate what that paper claims to show in the Schwarzschild co-ordinate system, or any other of the many BH co-ordinate charts.

stevebd1 said:
I was under the impression that if a paper was on the arxiv website then it had passed some seal of approval, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I realize this is an old post, but since the thread has been bumped anyway...

The fact that a paper appears on arxiv really doesn't signify very much. It doesn't mean that it has been peer-reviewed. There is a level of moderation of arxiv postings, but it is not very strict. (That is in no way a criticism of arxiv, I'm just saying how it is).

More generally, even if something is peer-reviewed, that still doesn't mean that the contents of the paper are now considered to be the new standard. This is a very common misconception about peer review. The real peer review comes after a paper has been published and the whole community can read, respond, cite or ignore the paper depending upon the arguments it presents. The formal review process prior to a paper's publication simply ensures that the arguments are clear and free of obvious mistakes, any data are presented with sufficient detail to understand possible sources of error and that relevant prior work has been considered and responded to if necessary. A referee doesn't even have to agree with a paper's conclusions in order to pass it for publication.

Last edited:

1. What are Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates?

Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates, also known as the KS coordinates, are a type of coordinate system used in general relativity to describe the geometry of a spacetime. They were developed by physicists Martin Kruskal and George Szekeres in the 1960s.

2. How are Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Unlike traditional coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates, Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates are not based on a specific reference frame or observer. They are considered "invariant" coordinates, meaning they can be used by any observer in any reference frame to describe the same spacetime.

3. What is the purpose of using Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates?

Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates are particularly useful for describing the geometry of black holes and other extreme astrophysical objects. They allow for a better understanding of the behavior of light and matter in these regions, and can also simplify calculations in general relativity.

4. Are Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates applicable to all spacetimes?

No, Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates are specifically designed for describing the geometry of stationary, spherically symmetric spacetimes. They are not applicable to all types of spacetimes, such as those with significant gravitational waves or rotation.

5. How do Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates relate to other coordinate systems?

Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates can be transformed into other coordinate systems, such as Schwarzschild or Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates, depending on the specific spacetime being described. This allows for different perspectives and understandings of the same spacetime.