Displacement & distance on velocity vs time graph

In summary, the graph above shows the displacement and distance traveled for a particle moving on a curved pathway. The displacement is independent of the pathway, meaning the distance traveled on the last point is the same as the distance traveled on the first point.
bumblebee
332756033.jpg

How do I calculate final displacement and the total distance traveled in the graph above.

I know displacement is independent of the pathway so the distance traveled on the last point is 44 m and the first point is 0 m.

I also know for distance that you have to calculate the area of the triangle above the x-axis (1/2*b*h) but I'm not sure how to calculate the area under the x-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
bumblebee said:
How do I calculate final displacement and the total distance traveled in the graph above.

I know displacement is independent of the pathway so the distance traveled on the last point is 44 m and the first point is 0 m.

I also know for distance that you have to calculate the area of the triangle above the x-axis (1/2*b*h) but I'm not sure how to calculate the area under the x-axis.

To be simple minded about it you can just say 1/2 base times height above and sub out 1/2 base times height of the areas below the x-axis as well as the base times height of the rectangular area.

For instance above x-axis positive area is 1/2 (5 - 1) * (8).
Below the line be careful about which triangles you choose and which rectangles to fully account for all the area.

The important thing is you understand what the area of this function represents. It is the integral of F(t) which is Velocity(t) from 0 to 11 seconds. The integral of velocity is ... distance.

If you needed acceleration, that would be the derivative of this Velocity(t), and the slopes of those lines would be the acceleration during those time intervals.

Last edited:
For area under the x-axis I got 34 so 34 + 16 = 50 m?

This is what I did: 12 x (8-5) x (1/2) = 18

area of rectangle: 1 x 12 = 12 - [(1/2) * 1 * 8] = 8

4 x (11 - 9) = 8

18 + 8 + 8 = 34

Last edited:
bumblebee said:
For area under the x-axis I got 34 so 34 + 16 = 50 m?

This is what I did: 12 x (8-5) x (1/2) = 18

area of rectangle: 1 x 12 = 12 - [(1/2) * 1 * 8] = 8

4 x (11 - 9) = 8

18 + 8 + 8 = 34

That's correct.

Okay let me try again.

Is it 26 m?

(26 + 16 = 42)?

Last edited:
bumblebee said:
Okay let me try again.

Is it 26 m?

(26 + 16 = 42)?

I think 50 is the right answer. I originally posted I thought it was wrong by 1 and then realized the y scale was 2 per unit and changed my post. Maybe you were quick enough to catch my first posting of it before I corrected (edited) myself. If so, sorry for any inconvenience.

No problem.

So for displacement would you use [v1 + v2 / 2] * t = d?

[0 + -44]/2 x [11-1] =

-22/10 = - 2.2 m?

This does not seem right.

Last edited:
bumblebee said:
No problem.

So for displacement would you use [v1 + v2 / 2] * t = d?

[0 + -44]/2 x [11-1] =

-22/10 = - 2.2 m?

This does not seem right.

Wait a minute. A big mistake. We made it together.

The positive area above V=0 is 16. The area below V=0 is 34 but that is negative. That means there is negative total displacement of 16 - 34 = -18.
The distance traveled is 50 m.

Now the 44 m you are talking about I am not understanding where that comes from.

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Wait a minute. A big mistake. We made it together.

The positive area above V=0 is 16. The area below V=0 is 34 but that is negative. That means there is negative total displacement of 16 - 34 = -18.

Now the 44 m you are talking about I am not understanding where that comes from.

I got -44 by multiplying -4.0 m/s * 11.0 s = - 44 m.

bumblebee said:
I got -44 by multiplying -4.0 m/s * 11.0 s = - 44 m.

But -4 m/s is only the velocity at 11 seconds. The graph is the locus of all previous velocities at all previous points back to t = 0.

LowlyPion said:
But -4 m/s is only the velocity at 11 seconds. The graph is the locus of all previous velocities at all previous points back to t = 0.

Got it. Thanks.

1. What is the relationship between displacement and distance on a velocity vs time graph?

The displacement and distance on a velocity vs time graph are both measures of how far an object has moved. However, displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled. Therefore, displacement can be equal to or less than the distance traveled.

2. How can you determine the displacement from a velocity vs time graph?

The displacement can be determined by finding the area under the curve on a velocity vs time graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes (such as triangles or rectangles) and then calculating the area of each shape. The sum of these areas will give the displacement.

3. What does a flat line on a velocity vs time graph indicate?

A flat line on a velocity vs time graph indicates that the object is not moving, or that its velocity is constant. This means that the displacement is also constant, since there is no change in position over time.

4. Can the displacement be negative on a velocity vs time graph?

Yes, the displacement can be negative on a velocity vs time graph. This occurs when the object moves in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph. For example, if the positive direction is to the right and the object moves to the left, its displacement will be negative.

5. How does the slope of a velocity vs time graph relate to the object's acceleration?

The slope of a velocity vs time graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration. A horizontal line on the graph indicates a constant velocity and therefore, zero acceleration.