Calculating the tire pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses figuring out the pressure in car tires using information from the owner's manual and a ruler. The weight of the car is approximately 1500kg and each tire supports one-fourth of the weight. By assuming the tire would be round without the weight of the car, the change in volume can be used to calculate the pressure in the tires. The equation P = Po + (density)gd is used, where P is the pressure, Po is the outside pressure, density is the density of the tire material, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the depth of the tire. The tire's width and the flattened segment in contact with the road are also used to find the area (A)
Jeff231

Homework Statement

"A friend asks you how much pressure is in your car tires. You know that the tire manufacturer recommends 30psi, but it's been a while since you've checked. You can't find a tire gauge in the car, but you do find the owner's manual and a ruler. From the owner's manual you find the car's mass is 1500kg. It seems resonable to assume that each tire supports one-fourth of the weight. With a ruler you find that the tires are 15cm wide and the flattened segment of the tire in contact with the road is 13cm long. What answer do you give your friend?"

Homework Equations

P = Po + (density)gd d=depth
P= F/A
density(rho) = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the force is 1/4(9.8)(1500).
I know Po is just the outside pressure (constant).

I'm confused on how density plays in the this equation/question. Also the area, A I'm confused how it's possible to find the area of the tire with just knowing how wide the tire is, how much ground is touching the tire, without knowing the sidewall height. It's not like the whole thing is made of tire, unless I'm suppose to assume there's no wheel?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know the volume of the tire, just the change in volume due to the weight of the car - assume the tire would be round if the weigth of thecar was removed.

Based on the given information, I would explain to my friend that the tire pressure can be estimated using the formula P=F/A, where P is the tire pressure, F is the force exerted on the tire (which we know is 1/4 of the car's weight), and A is the area of the flattened segment of the tire in contact with the road.

Since we know that the flattened segment is 13cm long and 15cm wide, we can calculate the area by multiplying the length and width, which gives us 195cm^2. However, this is not the true area of the tire in contact with the road, as there is also the sidewall height to consider. Without knowing the sidewall height, it would be difficult to accurately calculate the tire pressure.

I would also mention that the density of the tire (which is the mass of the tire divided by its volume) does not directly affect the tire pressure. It is more relevant for determining the load capacity of the tire.

In this situation, it would be best to find a tire gauge to get an accurate measurement of the tire pressure. Alternatively, we could also take the car to a mechanic or gas station to have the tire pressure checked.

1. How do you calculate the tire pressure?

To calculate tire pressure, you will need to know the recommended PSI (pounds per square inch) for your specific tires, which can usually be found on the tire sidewall or in the vehicle's manual. Then, use a tire pressure gauge to measure the current pressure and compare it to the recommended PSI. If the pressure is too high, use a tire pressure gauge to release air until it reaches the recommended level. If the pressure is too low, use an air compressor to fill the tire until it reaches the recommended level.

2. What factors can affect tire pressure?

Tire pressure can be affected by changes in temperature, altitude, and age of the tires. As the temperature increases, the air inside the tires expands, causing an increase in tire pressure. Similarly, as the temperature decreases, the air inside the tires contracts, causing a decrease in tire pressure. Altitude can also affect tire pressure due to changes in air pressure. Tires also naturally lose air over time, so it is important to regularly check and adjust tire pressure as needed.

3. Can overinflated or underinflated tires affect vehicle performance?

Yes, overinflated or underinflated tires can affect vehicle performance in several ways. Overinflated tires can cause a harsher ride, reduce traction, and increase the risk of tire blowouts. Underinflated tires can cause poor handling, decrease fuel efficiency, and increase the risk of tire damage. It is important to maintain the recommended tire pressure for optimal vehicle performance and safety.

4. How often should tire pressure be checked?

Tire pressure should ideally be checked at least once a month, as well as before long trips and significant changes in temperature. It is also important to visually inspect tires for any signs of damage or uneven wear. Regularly checking tire pressure can help ensure safe and efficient driving.

5. Is it okay to use the tire pressure listed on the tire's sidewall?

No, the tire pressure listed on the tire's sidewall is the maximum pressure that the tire can safely hold. The recommended tire pressure for your specific vehicle can be found in the vehicle's manual or on a sticker inside the driver's door. It is important to always use the recommended tire pressure for optimal vehicle performance and safety.