(Career Ideas/Suggestions)

• Thread starter doogerjr
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a high school senior interested in attending college but unsure of what to study. They have a wide range of interests, including journalism, horticulture, economics, philosophy, and physics/engineering. They are particularly drawn to electrical engineering, optics, and wireless technology. They are not interested in aeronautics and are interested in a research and development position. They plan to explore their options in college and are open to suggestions and advice.
doogerjr
Hi all. Been lurking for a while now, and I've found this could be quite a helpful place to visit. Anyway, I'm currently a Senior in High School, and I've come to a crossroads/dilemma of sorts. I wish to attend college, however I do not know what to study. I am interested in a TON of almost completely unrelated fields (journalism, horticulture, economics, and philosophy being a few :rolleyes:), however, I have found that I seem to be drawn towards physics/engineering the most. If anyone would help me with suggestions as to what I should study, it would be greatly appreciated!

-I am very interested in radios/wireless type stuff. I did a project on Nikola Tesla, and read about his experiments with wireless power transmission. That interests me a whole lot.

-Also interested in Optics/fiber stuff. I asked my physics teacher for some advice, he suggested optics since information transmission "over copper is becoming outdated fast". Don't know about that, but intriguing nonetheless.

-Electrical Engineering in general seems to interest me. Mechanical to a lesser degree; It seems that a lot of the mechanical engineers I've met worked with HVAC systems. No hate, that just isn't my cup of tea.

-Civil Engineering/Architecture also interests me. Forgive me, as this is probably more political, but I see society re-organizing on a closer, more compact scale in the future. With sprawling suburbia, I think people will be needed to help in such a transition.

-Not interested in Aeronautics stuff. Again, no hate, it just doesn't seem to attract me that much. :cool:

-I'd really like to be in a R&D type position.

If you can't tell from my post, I'm not very organized or very experienced in this. I seem to be drawn to the more hi-tech electrical thingys. :rolleyes: I intend to explore further in college, but I'd like a few pointers before I get that far. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best option is to start out in a general science or engineering program that doesn't force you to declare a major until your second year. That way you will be able to explore your interests at a university level without making a full committment at the beginning. Peoples' interests often change once they get out of high school too.

Other options for further exploration would be to get involved with university engineering clubs: ie. robotics competitions, solar car team etc. This kind of experience really gives you insight into a field, connects you with seniour students and professors and looks great on job or grad school applications.

I can understand your dilemma and I'm happy to offer some suggestions for your potential career path. It's great that you have a wide range of interests and it's important to explore them further to determine which field is the best fit for you. Based on your interests, I would recommend focusing on physics and engineering in college.

In terms of specific fields, I would suggest looking into electrical engineering, particularly in the area of wireless technology and optics. The advancements in wireless technology and the increasing use of fiber optics make this a promising field for the future. Additionally, your interest in R&D aligns well with this field as it involves developing new technologies and improving existing ones.

Civil engineering and architecture are also good options for you, as they involve problem-solving and designing structures and systems for society. Your interest in a more compact and organized society makes these fields particularly relevant.

I would also recommend exploring the field of materials science and engineering, as it combines aspects of both mechanical and electrical engineering. This field involves studying the properties and applications of different materials, which could encompass your interest in hi-tech electrical components.

Ultimately, it's important to continue exploring your interests and gaining experience through internships or research opportunities in college. This will help you narrow down your focus and determine which field is the best fit for you. Good luck with your future studies!

1. What are some career options for someone interested in science?

There are many career options for individuals interested in science, including research scientists, medical doctors, science writers, environmental scientists, and science educators.

2. What qualifications are needed to pursue a career in science?

Typically, a career in science requires a bachelor's degree in a related field such as biology, chemistry, or physics. Many positions also require advanced degrees such as a master's or Ph.D.

3. Is a career in science financially rewarding?

A career in science can be financially rewarding, particularly in fields such as medicine, engineering, and technology. However, salaries can vary significantly depending on the specific role, industry, and level of education.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in science?

Some important skills for a career in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, communication, and computer literacy. Additionally, having a passion for learning and a strong work ethic are important qualities for success in this field.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in a science career?

Yes, there are many opportunities for advancement in a science career. With experience and advanced education, individuals can move into leadership roles, research positions, or specialized fields within their chosen area of science.