Grad student life at Berkeley, MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Cornell

In summary, the speaker is seeking information from graduate students at various schools about their experiences before applying. They are interested in learning about the competitiveness and compassion of the students, the weather, the overall happiness of the people, the economic state of the town, and the social atmosphere within the department. They also ask for any additional advice or tips. The speaker mentions having many options and wanting to minimize the time spent on essay writing before applying. They also consider visiting the schools before making a decision. Another person suggests applying to all schools and tailoring a statement of purpose for each.
Ninjagecko
I'm interested to hear from Grad Students at these schools about anything they wish they had known when they were applying. How competitive/compassionate are the students? How is the weather? Are people happy? Is the town in complete economic distress? Do you like the whole department, or just your advisor? Does your department make an effort to be social, or is it all business all the time? Etc.

Anything you think is good to know is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you even applied to these schools and if so have you even been accepted?
Even if you have been accepted where do you suppose is a better place to ask those questions the open house/visiting time where you know you are interacting with real grad students at that school or an anonymous internet forum?

No, I have not applied yet. I have too many choices at the moment, and I would rather minimize the amount of time I spend writing essays. The idea is to eliminate programs from my list before I apply instead of after. Obviously I'll need to make my own impressions from visiting before I choose a program

Ninjagecko said:
No, I have not applied yet. I have too many choices at the moment, and I would rather minimize the amount of time I spend writing essays. The idea is to eliminate programs from my list before I apply instead of after. Obviously I'll need to make my own impressions from visiting before I choose a program
If essay writing is the concern here, I wouldn't worry about it. You can largely use the same essay and tailor a paragraph or two towards the school.

Apply to all and see which you get into. If you had any reasonable chance in getting into those top programs finding a few safety schools shouldn't be a problem. You need a statement of purpose for those schools which is usually based off a template that you create and the message you want to convey.

1. What is the typical workload for a grad student at these top universities?

The workload for a grad student at these top universities can vary, but it is generally quite heavy. Most grad students are expected to take a full course load (around 9-12 credits) and also engage in research or teaching duties. This can result in long hours and a significant amount of academic and intellectual demands.

2. How do these universities support their grad students financially?

These universities typically offer a combination of funding opportunities for their grad students, including teaching assistantships, research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. These funding sources can vary in terms of amount and requirements, but they generally cover tuition and living expenses for the duration of a student's program.

3. What resources are available for grad students at these universities?

These universities offer a wide range of resources and support for their grad students, including access to specialized libraries, research facilities, career services, counseling and mental health services, and academic advising. There are also numerous student organizations and clubs that offer networking and social opportunities.

4. How competitive is the environment among grad students at these universities?

The environment among grad students at these universities can vary, but it is generally quite competitive. With a high concentration of talented and driven individuals, the pressure to excel and stand out can be intense. However, there is also a strong sense of camaraderie and collaboration among grad students, as they often work together on research projects or share similar academic interests.

5. What opportunities for networking and professional development are available to grad students at these universities?

These universities offer numerous opportunities for grad students to network and develop professionally. This can include conferences, workshops, seminars, and networking events organized by departments or student organizations. Additionally, many universities have strong connections with industry and offer opportunities for internships and career fairs for their grad students.