Help with upgrading notebook hard drive.

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and compatibility of hard drives for a laptop. The recommendation is for an ATA/100 5400 RPM 9.5mm drive, but there are also faster SATA drives available. However, it is important to note that ATA and SATA use different connectors and cannot be interchanged without a conversion kit. Ultimately, it is best to stick with the recommended PATA drive for the specific laptop in question.
yungman
I need to replace my hard drive. The recommendation is: ATA/100 5400 RPM 9.5mm.

I see a lot of faster drive 7200rpm but they are SATA. Is it true I can put this in also because they connector should be compatable. I just need to get 9.5mm or smaller and it would be fine?

What is the different between ATA, SATA etc? Is it true that 100 is 100meg bits per second. So if I get 300, it is ok also.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm fairly sure that's not true. ATA and SATA, at least in PC's, use different connectors completely and one wouldn't ever be able to work with another. I don't see why it would be any different with laptops unfortunately.

ATA-100 uses a 100megaBYTE/second interface while SATA uses 300/600/1200 or something of that nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment might be of more help.

Stick with the PATA drive for that machine. You will spend more money trying to find a conversion kit to change the drive connectors (if one is even available) than it is worth. The machine is older so it is doubtfull you will see much of a difference anyway.

Thanks for the help.

1. What are the benefits of upgrading my notebook hard drive?

Upgrading your notebook hard drive can improve the overall performance and speed of your device. It can also provide you with more storage space, allowing you to save more files and programs.

2. How do I know if my notebook is compatible with a new hard drive?

You can check the specifications of your notebook to see what type of hard drive it currently has and what type of hard drive it is compatible with. You can also consult with the manufacturer or a technician for further assistance.

3. Can I upgrade my notebook hard drive on my own?

It is possible to upgrade your notebook hard drive on your own, but it requires some technical knowledge and experience. It is recommended to seek professional help if you are not familiar with the process.

4. How much does it cost to upgrade a notebook hard drive?

The cost of upgrading a notebook hard drive can vary depending on the type and size of the hard drive you choose. Additionally, if you choose to have a professional install it for you, there may be additional labor costs.

5. Will upgrading my notebook hard drive void my warranty?

In most cases, upgrading your notebook hard drive will not void your warranty. However, it is always best to check with the manufacturer or read your warranty terms and conditions to be sure.