Question regarding potential formulas

In summary, the electric potential for a continuous distribution of charge can be calculated using the formula Integral [ p(y) grad( 1/(|x-y)) d A_y ] in both 2 and 3 dimensions. The result for 2 dimensions involves an expression with a logarithm, but the specific form depends on the surface being integrated over. The derivation for 2 dimensions is similar to that for 3 dimensions, using superposition and integration over the surface charge density.
Carl140
I know that the electric potential for a continuous distributions of charge can be calculated
using the following formula:

Integral [ p(y) grad( 1/(|x-y)) d A_y ]

Where grad represents the gradient of the vector function |x-y| and A_y is a area length element and p(y) represents the charge density.
I know this result is valid for 3 dimensions.

I need the result for 2 dimensions, I remember the answer involves an expression like
grad( log(|x-y|)) where log represents the natural logarithm but I can't find it anyhwere.

Anyone knows where I can find it or how to derive it? I'm pretty sure it involves a logarithm.
I've searched in Jackson and Griffiths but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Carl140 said:
Integral [ p(y) grad( 1/(|x-y)) d A_y ]
Where grad represents the gradient of the vector function |x-y| and A_y is a area length element and p(y) represents the charge density.
I know this result is valid for 3 dimensions.
This can't be right for 3 dimensions as you claim. It looks like the result for 2 dimensions, see how it's put together below.

The derivation for a two-dimensional surface is the same as a three dimensional surface: Consider the charge distribution as consisting of elements of charge ##dq## and use superposition to find the potential at ##\vec r##. Using ##\vec r'## to denote the coordinate of ##dq##, one writes,$$dV=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{dq}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{\sigma(\vec r')dA'}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}$$where ##\sigma(\vec r')## is the surface charge density. The total potential is obtained by integrating primed coordinates over the surface of the two dimensional distribution,$$V(\vec r)=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int \frac{\sigma(\vec r')dA'}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}.$$I am not sure where the logarithmic expressions would come in. What you remember is probably the result of integration over a specific surface.

1. What is the purpose of potential formulas?

Potential formulas are used in physics to describe the relationship between two or more variables, such as force and distance. They help to calculate the potential energy of a system based on its position and the forces acting upon it.

2. How are potential formulas derived?

Potential formulas are derived from fundamental laws and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion or the law of conservation of energy. These formulas are then tested and refined through experiments and observations.

3. Can potential formulas be used in all types of systems?

Yes, potential formulas can be used in a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and gravitational systems. They are also applicable in both macroscopic and microscopic scales.

4. How do potential formulas differ from other types of formulas?

Potential formulas are specifically used to describe the relationship between potential energy and other variables, while other types of formulas may be used to calculate different quantities, such as velocity or acceleration. Additionally, potential formulas are derived from laws and principles, while other formulas may be based on empirical observations.

5. Are there limitations to potential formulas?

While potential formulas are useful in describing the behavior of many systems, they may not be applicable in certain situations, such as when quantum effects are involved or when the system is highly complex. Additionally, potential formulas may need to be modified or combined with other formulas to accurately describe certain phenomena.