Finding the distance from a velocity-time graph

• Thread starter kathyt.25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the particle's position at t=28.8 s can be found by using the equation s = at^2/2 + v0t + s0, where a is the constant acceleration, v0 is the initial velocity, and s0 is the initial position. The average velocity over the entire elapsed time does not represent the average velocity in the time interval [0,28.8], so it cannot be used to find the final position. Instead, the constant acceleration and known initial values can be used to calculate the final position.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

The velocity graph of a particle moving along the x-axis is shown. The particle has zero velocity at t=0.00 s and reaches a maximum velocity, vmax, after a total elapsed time, ttotal. If the initial position of the particle is d0=8.29 m, the maximum velocity of the particle is vmax=47.9 m/s, and the total elapsed time is total=43.2 s, what is the particle's position at t=28.8 s? The graph that is provided with the question shows a constant slope on the

Given:
t1=0s
t2=43.2s
v1=0m/s
v2=47.9m/s
d1=8.29m
find the final distance when t=28.2s

Homework Equations

a(avg)=delta v/t
v(avg)=delta d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

So since the slope of the vt graph is constant, I found v(avg) by dividing the final+initial by 2.

V(avg) = d2 - d1 / t
23.95m/s = d2 - 8.29m / 28.8s
d2 = 698m

I still got the answer wrong... I don't really care for the correct answer, I'm just worried that I'm really misunderstanding some basic concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, without really thinking it over, based on what you've given us we have uniform acceleration, a known final velocity, a known initial velocity, known initial postion, time elapsed etc.

I think an ideal canidate for this sort of problem looks like the equation: s = at2/2 + v0t + s0.

The reason your attempt did not work is that your average velocity value applies over the entire elapsed time and does not represent the average velocity in the time interval [0,28.8].

jgens said:
The reason your attempt did not work is that your average velocity value applies over the entire elapsed time and does not represent the average velocity in the time interval [0,28.8].

This is a very important point that regularly catches people out.

If the slope is constant, then you know that the acceleration is constant, so you can use the SUVAT equations.

jgens pointed out the relevant one to use - and don't forget to add the extra displacement due to the initial position (which is included in jgens' equation).

The acceleration can be found from the equations that you have shown.
Remember that if it is constant, then the constant value is equal to the average value.

1. How do I find the distance from a velocity-time graph?

To find the distance from a velocity-time graph, you can use the formula: Distance = Velocity x Time. This formula works for both constant and changing velocities. For a constant velocity, you can simply multiply the velocity by the total time. For a changing velocity, you can divide the graph into smaller sections and calculate the distance for each section, then add them together to get the total distance.

2. Can I find the distance from a velocity-time graph if the velocity is changing?

Yes, you can still find the distance from a velocity-time graph even if the velocity is changing. As mentioned before, you can divide the graph into smaller sections and calculate the distance for each section, then add them together to get the total distance. This method is also known as using Riemann sums.

3. What if the velocity-time graph has negative values?

If the velocity-time graph has negative values, it means that the object is moving in the opposite direction. In this case, you can still use the formula Distance = Velocity x Time, but you will need to consider the direction of the velocity. For example, if the velocity is negative, you will need to use a negative value for distance.

4. Is it possible to find the distance from a velocity-time graph without using a formula?

No, it is not possible to find the distance from a velocity-time graph without using a formula. The formula Distance = Velocity x Time is derived from the definition of velocity, which is the change in distance over time. However, there are online calculators and software programs that can help you find the distance without manually calculating it.

5. Can I use a velocity-time graph to find the displacement instead of distance?

Yes, you can use a velocity-time graph to find the displacement instead of distance. Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting point and the final position, while distance refers to the total length traveled. To find displacement, you can use the formula Displacement = Final Position - Initial Position. This will give you a positive or negative value, depending on the direction of the movement.