What determines if a material is an insulator or conductor?

In summary: The summary is that in a monovalent atomic crystal, the number of states is equal to the number of atoms. Conductivity is related to the number of states and the band structure of different crystals, but also depends on details like geometry and energy. In a filled band, there is no room for electrons and no conduction can occur. In a partially filled band, electrons can flow without worry about a gap of forbidden energy. When my lecturers are talking about the fermi surface overlapping the walls of the brillouin zone, this is what they mean. The electrons are bent away from the zone by the lattice potential and have values of k less than pi/a (if a is the lattice spacing in that
DeShark
Hello all. I'm having trouble finding anywhere but my (unclear) lecture notes about the total number of states in a band. I'm getting a little muddled between my different models and am just wondering if the number of states in a band is equal to the number of atoms in the solid. In this case, a set of monovalent atoms would fill half of the band and divalent atoms would fill the whole band. This would explain why Lithium, Sodium, Potassium etc all conduct, but I still don't understand why (e.g.) phosphorus (valency 5) is an insulator. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a monovalent atomic crystal, the total number of states will be equal to the number of atoms, that's correct.

But conduction is not just related to the number of states in a crystal. The band structure of different crystals are all different and depend on many details, usually there is a splitting between lower and upper bands and these splittings, band-gaps, at the relevant energy scale (at around Fermi Level) decide whether the crystal is a conductor or an insulator.

As I had it, in a filled band, there is no "room" for electrons who want to gain momentum in a certain direction, so they can't flow (i.e. no conduction). In a partially filled band, this is not the case (hence conduction). However, if the bands overlap (there is no band gap) then the electrons are free to gain momentum without worrying about a gap of forbidden energy and the electrons can flow (hence conduction).

I guess my question could be rephrased as "Does the fermi level always lie either: between two bands; or at the exact energy level where the band is exactly half filled?"

There is also an issue of geometry. In 1D, you're used to just drawing some curves, and a horizontal line representing the Fermi energy (or really, chemical potential); in general, you don't draw multiple bands in the same energy. In 2D and 3D, it's common that higher bands lowest energies are lower than the lowest bands highest energies, but with different momenta. Thus it may be that a naive counting argument suggests a filled band, but actually some of the electrons end up in a higher band, thus giving you an extended Fermi surface.

So when my lecturers are on about the fermi surface overlapping the walls of the brillouin zone, this is what they mean. The electrons are, in a way, bent away (due to satisfaction of the Bragg law) from overlapping the zone by the lattice potential, so they have values of k less than pi/a (if a is the lattice spacing in that direction), i.e. less than the brilloin zone. So, in the free electron model, the surface is a sphere and so it just overlaps the zone without quarrel (if the brillouin zone exists?). Then, in a strong potential, the fermi surface is warped (so that it assumes a shape similar to that of the brillouin zone?) and so, if the occupation of states is large, the fermi surface will just fill the brillouin zone. If the occupation of states is not large, then the fermi surface can be moved by an electric field and induce a current. Am I on the right track here?

Edit: In summary, does a "full" brillouin zone correspond to an insulator and a non full one correspond to a conductor? Is this why a material which is an insulator can become conductive when a dopant releases an electron into the lattice, extending the boundaries of the fermi surface into the next brillouin zone? If so, is a nearly full brillouin zone the same as one containing holes and can therefore conduct as well? Then, in a p-n junction, the electrons which are in the overflow zone of the n-doped brillouin zone could flow into the not-quite-full brillouin zone of the p-doped zone, "filling up" the holes. Then, there would be an excess of electrons in the p-doped zone and it would be negatively charged and there would be an electric field set up. To place electrons into the p-zone would require a voltage high enough to overcome the field set up and I'm guessing the electrons would have to tunnel through it, requiring a large voltage that would break down similar to an insulator and thus create a spark, destroying the diode? In the opposite direction, the electrons would be taken from the p zone, recreating the holes and then a current of electrons would flow into the p zone from the n zone? Is this right?

Last edited:
Basically, the issue of what makes things insulating or conducting is very complex; see http://nanoscale.blogspot.com/2008/12/more-about-insulators.html

At the end of the day, the issue is settled by the existence of low energy states which have macroscopic transport. For situations where the Laudau (or more accurate Born-Sommerfeld) model applies, this boils down to whether the Fermi surface exists as an extended surface. In 1D, you can then reliably do counting arguments. Beyond 1D, these counting arguments tend to get very unreliable. Then there are all the places where the Landau model does not apply at all...

1. How is the number of states in a band determined?

The number of states in a band is determined by the energy levels available for electrons to occupy within the band. These energy levels are influenced by factors such as the number of atoms in the material and the strength of the bonds between them.

2. Can the number of states in a band vary?

Yes, the number of states in a band can vary depending on the type of material and its physical properties. For example, a material with a larger number of atoms or stronger bonds will have a larger number of states in its band compared to a material with fewer atoms or weaker bonds.

3. How does the number of states in a band affect the properties of a material?

The number of states in a band directly impacts the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as the optical properties, of a material. Materials with a larger number of states in their bands tend to have higher levels of conductivity and are better conductors of heat and light.

4. Is there a limit to the number of states in a band?

There is no specific limit to the number of states in a band. However, as the number of atoms in a material increases, the number of energy levels and states in its band also increases. This means that in practical terms, the number of states in a band can be very large, but not infinite.

5. How do the number of states in a band relate to the electronic band structure of a material?

The number of states in a band is directly related to the electronic band structure of a material. The band structure is a visual representation of the energy levels and states available for electrons to occupy in a material. The number of states in a band will determine the shape and size of the band structure, and thus, the material's properties.