Force, magnitude, and direction HELP

In summary, to find the magnitude and direction of the force FW acting on the boat, first split all forces and speeds into north/south and east/west components. Then, use the equation F=ma in both the north/south and east/west direction. After calculating the total force, plug it into the equation Ftotal=Fengine+Fresistance+FW and solve for FW. Be sure to use the correct signs for each component in the calculation.
bellawella

Homework Statement

A 322-kg boat is sailing 14.5° north of east at a speed of 1.84 m/s. Thirty seconds later, it is sailing 34.2° north of east at a speed of 4.40 m/s. During this time, three forces act on the boat: a 33.6-N force directed 14.5° north of east (due to an auxiliary engine), a 24.3-N force directed 14.5° south of west (resistance due to the water), and FW (due to the wind). Find the magnitude and direction of the force FW. Express the direction as an angle with respect to due east.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vo= 1.84cos(14.5) + 1.84sin(14.5) = 2.24
Vf= 4.4cos(34.2) + 4.4sin(34.2) = 6.11

(6.11-2.24)/30 = a = .13 m/s2

Ftotal = 322 x .13 = 41.86 N

Fengine= 33.6cos(14.5) + 33.6sin(14.5)= 40.9
Fresistance= -24.3cos(14.5) - 24.3cos(14.5)= -29.6

Ftotal=Fengine+Fresistance+Fw
41.86=40.9+(-29.6)+FW
FW= 30.6

But its wrong ! PLEASE help me by explaining with numbers. I've rechecked my calculations so many times. and I can't get to the second part without the first, so please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
split all forces and speeds in north/south and east/west components. Use F=ma
in the north/south and in the east/west direction.

Vo= 1.84cos(14.5) + 1.84sin(14.5) = 2.24

What you do here doesn't make sense. You compute the 2 components of the speed and
then add them to get another speed?

heyy. no i didnt compute them to get a total speed. i used deltaV/time and got acceleration. then i multiplied acceleration times mass to get the total force. and thanks for the advice, I am not sure ill do it right but ill give it a shot. words usually confuse me!

or maybe i did? ahhh i don't even know what i did now :\

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause a change in an object's motion or shape.

2. What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude refers to the size or strength of a force, while direction describes the path or orientation of the force.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N) using tools such as spring scales, force meters, or force sensors.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude and direction of a force?

To calculate the magnitude and direction of a force, you can use vector addition and trigonometry. The magnitude is determined by the length of the vector, and the direction is given by the angle at which the vector points.

5. Can forces cancel each other out?

Yes, forces can cancel each other out when they are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This is known as balanced forces, and it results in no change in an object's motion.