Find the mass of the merry go round: conservation of angular momentum?

In summary, a child exerts a 41.6 N tangential force on a merry-go-round with a radius of 2.40 m. After 3.50 s, the merry-go-round reaches an angular speed of 0.0850 rev/s. Using the equations for torque and moment of inertia, the correct mass of the merry-go-round is found to be 227 kg. The error in the first attempt was due to incorrect conversion of angular speed and an incorrect assumption about the placement of the child on the merry-go-round. The correct equation is 2 * [(torque * t) / (angular velocity)] = m*r^2.
n.hirsch1

Homework Statement

A child exerts a tangential 41.6 N force on the rim of a disk-shaped merry-go-round with a radius of 2.40 m.
If the merry-go-round starts at rest and acquires an angular speed of 0.0850 rev/s in 3.50 s, what is its mass?

Homework Equations

torque = r * F
(I + mr^2) ω / t = torque
I of a solid disk = 1/2 mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the tangential torque to be 99.84 N/m, and set the momentum equation to it, plugging in the moment of inertia. I got 713.7, and the answer is 227 kg. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things:
i) Note that the angular speed is given in revolutions/second, not rad/s.

ii) In your second equation, what are you assuming about the placement of the child? Does this assumption make sense?

Once I convert the angular velocity, I can get the correct answer if I multiply it by 2:
2 * [(torque * t) / (angular velocity)] = m*r^2
Why does it work this way and not the other way?

The only moment of inertia in question here is just that of the merry go round (i.e 1/2mr^2) with m as the mass of the merry go ground. I think the way you were doing it, you put an extra object of mass m on the rim (so you had an extra +mr^2 term)!

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant when there are no external torques acting on it.

2. How does angular momentum relate to a merry go round?

Angular momentum of a merry go round is the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. As the merry go round spins, its angular momentum remains constant unless there is an external torque acting on it.

3. Why is it important to find the mass of a merry go round?

The mass of a merry go round is an important factor in calculating its moment of inertia and understanding its angular momentum. It also plays a role in determining the amount of force needed to accelerate or decelerate the merry go round.

4. What are the steps to find the mass of a merry go round using conservation of angular momentum?

The steps to find the mass of a merry go round using conservation of angular momentum are:
1. Measure the angular velocity of the merry go round.
2. Measure the radius of the merry go round.
3. Apply the equation for angular momentum, L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.
4. Rearrange the equation to solve for the mass, m = L / (Iω).
5. Use the calculated mass to determine the force needed to accelerate or decelerate the merry go round.

5. What are some real-life applications of conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum has various applications in real life, such as understanding the motion of planets and satellites, analyzing the spin of a gymnast or ice skater, and designing vehicles like gyroscopes and rockets. It is also used in industries like aerospace and robotics to control the motion of objects.