Question on Formulas and how they came to be?

• Thread starter Einherjar101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, there are numerous resources available that can help you understand and remember physics formulae by providing in-depth explanations and background information.
Einherjar101
The question I have is if anyone knows of any book, website or thread already in the physics forums that gives a detailed but stupidly simple explanation of physics formulae and also goes into how they came to be thought up and even derived while still explaining it in basic terms.

A good example of this that I can think of is the explination of Newton's law of universal gravitation in the book https://www.amazon.com/dp/1874166250/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Im asking this because, at least for me personaly, I find it easier to to understand and remember a formula once I know the backgroung of it.

Right I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any books, websites, or threads in the Physics Forums that provide a detailed but simple explanation of physics formulae. However, there are some excellent resources available online that can help you gain an understanding of the background and derivation of various physics formulae. Some of these include Khan Academy's Physics course (https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics), MIT Open Courseware's Science & Engineering videos (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/science-engineering/), and Physics.org's Online Physics Courses (https://www.physics.org/resources/online-courses/). Additionally, many universities also provide free online lectures and courses related to physics and other science subjects.

Yes, there are many resources available that explain physics formulas in a simple and easy to understand manner. One great book that comes to mind is "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick. This book uses illustrations and humorous explanations to break down complex formulas and concepts in physics.

As for the origins of these formulas, it is important to note that they were not simply thought up by one person. Many scientists and mathematicians throughout history have contributed to the development of these formulas through experimentation, observation, and mathematical reasoning.

For example, Newton's law of universal gravitation was derived from his observations of the motion of objects on Earth and the motion of celestial bodies. He used his understanding of calculus and mathematical principles to come up with the formula that describes the force of gravity between two objects.

Other formulas, such as Einstein's famous equation E=mc², were developed through years of research and experimentation in the field of theoretical physics.

In short, these formulas are the result of centuries of scientific progress and collaboration among brilliant minds. So while it may be helpful to understand the background and context of these formulas, it is also important to appreciate the immense amount of work and ingenuity that went into their development.

1. What are formulas and why are they important in science?

Formulas are mathematical expressions that describe relationships between different variables in a scientific context. They are important because they allow scientists to make predictions and understand complex systems in a quantitative manner.

2. How do scientists come up with formulas?

Scientists use a combination of observation, experimentation, and mathematical reasoning to come up with formulas. They often start with a hypothesis and then test it through experiments to gather data. From this data, they can use mathematical techniques to develop a formula that accurately represents the relationship between variables.

3. Can formulas change over time?

Yes, formulas can change over time as new evidence and data is discovered. As scientific knowledge and technology advances, scientists may refine or even completely change existing formulas to better explain natural phenomena.

4. Are all formulas universal or do they vary between different fields of science?

Formulas can vary between different fields of science depending on the specific variables and relationships being studied. However, there are also some universal formulas, such as the laws of thermodynamics, which apply across multiple disciplines.

5. Is it possible for a formula to be incorrect?

Yes, it is possible for a formula to be incorrect. This can happen if the data used to create the formula is inaccurate or if there are limitations to the mathematical techniques used. It is important for scientists to constantly test and revise formulas to ensure their accuracy.