Can this be done with a heat exchanger?

In summary, the customer asked for a price on a plate heat exchanger for water with specific data. The question was raised about the possibility of different flows with the same delta T on both sides. The expert confirms that this is not possible due to the conservation of energy. When asked how to explain this to the customer, the expert suggests asking where the other energy goes. It is also possible for different flow rates to give identical drops in temperature as long as the temperatures are drastically different. However, in this case, the temperatures are so close that specific heat is essentially constant.
TSN79
A customer of mine came to me asking for a price on a plate heat exchanger for water. The data he brought me was the following:

Primary side: 1,9 l/s and 12/16 C.
Sec. side: 2,4 l/s and 14/18 C.

I was just wondering if it is even possible to have different flows when the delta T is the same on both sides...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, conservation of energy requires that they be the same.

Thx, good to get that confirmed. Any tips on how I can easily explain this to him so that he "gets it" ?

Don't. Just ask him where the other energy goes.

If the temperatures of the fluid were drastically different it would be possible for different flowrates to give identical drops in temperature as specific heat is temperature variant. However, in this case the temperatures are so close that specific heat is in effect constant.
---------------
http://www.cfdengineer.com.

Is it the same liquid on each side? If the specific heat capacities are different you might get the same Delta T with different flow rates.

I agree with doc.

I am not an engineer, just a Mechanical contractor. The Delta T's you listed are so close, they are in effect the same. If the fluids were different, then maybe. But you deltas are so close...

1. Can a heat exchanger be used for both heating and cooling purposes?

Yes, a heat exchanger can be designed and used for both heating and cooling purposes. The direction of the fluid flow and the temperature difference between the two fluids determine whether the heat exchanger will function as a heater or a cooler.

2. Is it possible to use a heat exchanger to transfer heat between two completely different fluids?

Yes, a heat exchanger can transfer heat between two completely different fluids. The key is to ensure that the materials used for the heat exchanger are compatible with both fluids and can withstand the temperature and pressure conditions.

3. Can a heat exchanger be used to increase the efficiency of a system?

Yes, a heat exchanger can significantly increase the efficiency of a system by transferring heat from one fluid to another. This allows for the utilization of waste heat and can reduce the energy consumption of a system.

4. Can a heat exchanger be used for both industrial and residential applications?

Yes, heat exchangers are used in both industrial and residential applications. They can be found in air conditioning systems, refrigerators, power plants, chemical processing plants, and many other industries and household appliances.

5. Is it possible to design a custom heat exchanger for specific requirements?

Yes, it is possible to design a custom heat exchanger to meet specific requirements. Engineers can design heat exchangers with different materials, sizes, and configurations to suit the needs of a particular application. However, it is essential to consider the cost and feasibility of the design as well.