Model theory, category theory and universal algebra

In summary: Category theory is a way of studying structures that are often shared by many different types of objects. This can be helpful for quantifying what aspects certain types of objects will share.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If someone is willing to briefly explain what these three branches of mathematics are about, I'd appreciate it. I don't even understand if they are three completely different things or if they're overlapping a lot. I understand the definition of a category, and Landau just made me aware of the definition of a structure yesterday. Other than that, I know close to nothing about these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
I originally thought you meant "module theory" instead of "model theory"; I didn't even know there was such a discipline. I too would like to know the difference between all these since their definitions all sound remarkably similar.

Universal algebra is very much an aspect of model theory, so I'll just define the other two.

Model theory studies the abstract notion of a mathematical theory. With model theory you can study things like the consistency of certain statements, how to construct models of more complicated languages from simpler models, and how proofs are conducted in whatever theory you'd like to study.

Category theory is a little more particular. In category theory you have classes of objects and morphisms among those objects. Algebraic theories often share this common structure of studying objects (eg. groups) and special maps between them (eg. homomorphisms). This makes category theory useful for quantifying what aspects certain types of objects will share. If, say, we discover something interesting about semigroups and we want to see if it applies elsewhere, a good bet is to come up with a categorical definition of the phenomenon and see if it is interesting in other categories. Functors in this sense also become a nice way of studying relationships between categories.

Isn't universal algebra and algebraic logic rather similar if not the same?

Category theory is somewhat broad.

One of the recurring themes is that algebra isn't just for things like numbers and vectors -- it's also for things like sets, groups, vector spaces, and topological spaces.

e.g. if you're studying an interesting topological space, you might want to know its homology groups. One approach to finding them is:
  • find a way to build your interesting space out of simpler spaces,
  • convert that into a construction involving the homology groups of the simpler spaces,
  • try to perform the calculation.

Many interesting structures themselves are categories -- matrix algebra, for example. It can be awkward to try and study it as a "normal" algebraic structure -- e.g. if you want to use ring theory, you have to restrict yourself to square matrices of a particular size. However, Abelian category theory is up to the task!

Another interesting example of categories-as-structures is the fundamental groupoid of a topological space. There are a few similar examples of things -- e.g. the path groupoid of a manifold, or the category of arrows in an affine space.

1. What is the difference between model theory, category theory, and universal algebra?

Model theory is a branch of mathematical logic that studies mathematical structures and their interpretations. Category theory is a branch of mathematics that studies abstract structures and their relationships. Universal algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures and their properties. While there is some overlap between these fields, they each have their own distinct focus and methods of study.

2. How are model theory, category theory, and universal algebra used in other areas of mathematics?

Model theory is used in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and set theory, to study the properties of mathematical structures. Category theory is used in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and geometry, to study the relationships between different structures. Universal algebra is used in areas such as algebraic geometry and algebraic topology to study algebraic structures in a general and abstract way.

3. Can you give an example of a mathematical concept that can be studied using all three of these theories?

One example is the concept of a group. Model theory can be used to study the properties and interpretations of groups, category theory can be used to study the relationships between different groups, and universal algebra can be used to study the algebraic properties of groups.

4. What are some practical applications of model theory, category theory, and universal algebra?

Model theory has applications in fields such as computer science, where it is used to study the properties of logical systems and programming languages. Category theory has applications in fields such as physics, where it is used to study the relationships between different mathematical models. Universal algebra has applications in areas such as cryptography, where it is used to study algebraic structures that are used in encryption methods.

5. Are there any notable open problems or unsolved questions in these fields?

Yes, there are many open problems and unsolved questions in model theory, category theory, and universal algebra. Some notable examples include the model theory conjectures in algebraic geometry, the classification of finite simple groups in category theory, and the existence of universal algebraic structures in universal algebra.