Getting a rhombus vertex from one vertex and its area

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of the rest of the vertices of a rhombus, given one vertex and information about the rhombus' area and diagonal lines. The midpoint of the rhombus is mentioned as a key point in the solution, and the concept of perpendicular lines is also mentioned.
Telemachus
Hi there. I am tryin to solve this one, I know that if I find the way to get one more vertex i'd have it solved.

Homework Statement

The point A(-1,8) is the vertex of a rhombus which minor diagonal is situated on the line L: [tex]L=\begin{Bmatrix} x=3\mu & \mbox{ }& \\y=1+4\mu & \mbox{}&\end{matrix}
[/tex], [tex]\mu\in{R}[/tex]. Get the coordinates of the rest of the vertex knowing that the rhombus area is 30.

Homework Equations

[tex]A=\displaystyle\frac{dD}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I haven't done too much. Actually I did some, but then I realized that I had confused something, cause I got the line L' where would be located the major D, but I've used for it the point A, and then I was trying to get the point of intersection between L and L', so then I doubled it, and I was going to get my second vertex, but then I realized that it was wrong, cause I couln't use point A, cause A don't belongs to L', it belongs to L, so...

[tex]30=\displaystyle\frac{dD}{2}\Rightarrow{60=dD}[/tex]

So, I don't know much about L', but that its perpendicular to L.

[tex]L'=\begin{Bmatrix} x=x_0+4/3\lambda & \mbox{ }& \\y=y_0-\lambda & \mbox{}&\end{matrix}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Telemachus! :smile:
Telemachus said:
So, I don't know much about L', but that its perpendicular to L.

That's right :smile:, but from then on you're making it too complicated. :redface:

Hint: Where is the midpoint of the rhombus? :wink:

On the intersection between L and L', but how should I get L'? I thought maybe using pythagoric equation I could find another vertex, but I am not too sure. I know it gives enough data, but I don't know how to use it.

I had a misunderstood, I think I was on the right way, cause actually I didn't corroborate if A belongs to L, and the sentence don't say so. I'll corroborate, if it doesn't I was on the right way, and it will be easy to solve, cause if A don't belongs to L, it must belongs to L'.

Bye there, and thanks.

Telemachus said:
On the intersection between L and L', but how should I get L'?

L' is perpendicular to L, and goes through A. :smile:

(and remember, you don't need to find L', you only need the midpoint :wink:)

How could I get the midpoint without L'? I thought of it as the intersection between L and L'.

AM is on L', so it's perpendicular to L. :wink:

1. How do you find the length of the other side of a rhombus given one vertex and its area?

To find the length of the other side, you can use the formula A = (1/2) x d1 x d2, where A is the area of the rhombus and d1 and d2 are the diagonals of the rhombus. Since a rhombus has all equal sides, you can simply divide the area by the length of the given side to find the length of the other side.

2. What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a rhombus given one vertex and its area?

The perimeter of a rhombus can be found by multiplying the length of one side by 4. Therefore, if you know the length of one side, you can easily calculate the perimeter.

3. Can the area of a rhombus be negative?

No, the area of a rhombus cannot be negative. A negative area would imply that the shape has a negative length or width, which is not possible in a physical sense. Additionally, the area of a rhombus is always a positive number since it is calculated by multiplying two positive numbers (the diagonals) and dividing by 2.

4. How can you prove that a rhombus has equal diagonals?

To prove that a rhombus has equal diagonals, you can use the fact that opposite sides of a rhombus are parallel and congruent. By drawing a line from one vertex to the opposite vertex, you create two congruent triangles. Since the triangles share a side (the given side of the rhombus) and have two equal angles, the remaining sides (the diagonals) must also be equal.

5. Is it possible to find the angles of a rhombus given one vertex and its area?

No, it is not possible to find the angles of a rhombus given only one vertex and its area. This is because a rhombus can have different angle measurements while still maintaining the same area and length of one side. To find the angles, you would need additional information such as the length of one diagonal or the length of one side and one angle.