Build a Simple Boost Converter Circuit for 9V-1W Power Source

In summary, the speaker is new to electronics and is looking for a simple boost converter circuit that can be made with minimal parts. They have a 9v-1w power source and want to use it to create a spark between two electrodes. They are looking for schematics, diagrams, and photos, but they only have basic soldering skills and access to RadioShack. They have found a simple circuit online but are unsure about the switch and how to make it switch off and on quickly. This question has been answered on a forum.
ben123324
hi, i am pretty new with electronics, and i can't find any simple boost converter circuts on the enternet. i would like to make the circut THE MOST SIMPLE i can, with the fewest possible parts. for a power source, i have 9v-1w. for the output power, i would like to send a thin spark from 1 electrode to the other about 1/8"-1/4" apart as a substitute as a spark plug. schematics, diagrams, photos, links all would be helpful, but keep in mind that about all i can do is solder, and go to raioshack.
thanks,
Ben

edit: here is a simple curcut i found(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boost_circuit.png), and i understand everything but the switch. how would i get a switch that switches the flow of electricity off-on that fast?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a boost converter circuit work?

A boost converter circuit is a type of DC-DC converter that increases the voltage of a power source. It works by using an inductor and a switch to store energy in the inductor and then release it to the output at a higher voltage.

2. What materials are needed to build a simple boost converter circuit for a 9V-1W power source?

The materials needed include an inductor, a switch (such as a MOSFET or BJT), a diode, capacitors, resistors, and a 9V battery. A breadboard, wires, and a DC power supply are also necessary for prototyping and testing.

3. Can I use any type of inductor for the boost converter circuit?

The inductor used in a boost converter circuit must have a high inductance value and low resistance. It is recommended to use a specialized inductor designed for switching applications, such as a toroidal or ferrite core inductor.

4. How do I calculate the output voltage of the boost converter circuit?

The output voltage of a boost converter circuit can be calculated using the following formula: Vout = Vin * (1 + D), where Vin is the input voltage and D is the duty cycle of the switch. The duty cycle can be determined by the ratio of the on time to the total switching period.

5. Is it possible to modify the boost converter circuit for a different power source?

Yes, the boost converter circuit can be modified for different power sources by adjusting the value of the inductor and the duty cycle of the switch. However, it is important to ensure that the components can handle the increased voltage and current requirements of the new power source.