Why is my Frigidaire Gallery Series washer and dryer failing after only 5 years?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the frustration with modern appliances, specifically the Frigidaire Gallery Series washer and dryer. The dryer has a design flaw where the lint filter frame snags clothing with straps, causing them to twist and rip off. The washing machine has also begun to fail with an E10 error, and after researching the issue, it seems like the service people take a trial and error approach to fixing it. The cost of repair outweighs the value of the machine, leading to the decision to replace it with a simpler top-loader model. Overall, there is a sense of disappointment with the throw-away mentality of modern appliances and a longing for the durability of older models.
turbo
Gold Member
Specifically, the Frigidaire Gallery Series washer and dryer we bought 5 years ago. You can't put any clothing with straps in the dryer, or the lint filter frame snags the straps and the rotation of the dryer drum twists them right off. Frigidaire says that's not a problem that they need to address, so we have to hang-dry everything with straps. Recently, the matching front-load washing machine began failing in mid-process with an E10 error that resolves to an E13 if you put the processor in diagnostics mode. That purports to be a "too long to fill" error. I talked to the service-person at the appliance store where we bought this pathetic crap, and he said he'd have to come out to "look at" the machine. After searching for this error code on-line, I have found that the service-people take a "poke and hope" approach. First replace the pressure switch. If that doesn't work, then replace the fill valve assembly. Then if that didn't fix the problem, replace the entire control board.

I priced the two cheapest parts (switch and valve) and that flimsy plastic stuff came to over $100 without shipping. I could replace those myself, leaving myself in the hole for a "fix" that might not work, and then have to decide whether to gamble on buying and installing a new control board. This morning, I opened up the machine and unplugged, wiped, and re-connected every connector in the wiring harness, hoping that there might have been a corrosion problem or a poor connection that would resolve the problem. No dice. the wiring harness on that machine is only slightly less complex than my last Harley. That's just ridiculous.

I'm going to have to hunt for a new washing machine. Hopefully, a primitive top-loader with no bells and whistles and no processor - just a mechanical timer, motor, transmission, and pump. The last washing machine we had lasted over 20 years and was still going strong when we left it in the house that we sold. The drum bearing on the matching dryer started howling after about 15 years because the pads that the dryer drum ride on were old and worn, letting the drum tip a bit. I changed the drum bearing and the glides. That's the only maintenance either machine ever needed.

I know we have slid into a "throw-away" mentality in the past couple of decades, but it sucks having to replace a $700-800 washing machine after 5 years because the repair costs a likely to be greater than its present value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This thread is called "I hate modern appliances." To me, it sounds like they hate you too.

Perhaps I could help you negotiate some sort of truce.

FlexGunship said:
This thread is called "I hate modern appliances." To me, it sounds like they hate you too.

Perhaps I could help you negotiate some sort of truce.
I think you'll need plastic explosives or at least armor-piercing bullets.

turbo-1 said:
I think you'll need plastic explosives or at least armor-piercing bullets.
Oh, please. I have a modern washer/dryer set too. Maytag was kind enough to grace the panel of the washer with a "Cancel" button that isn't actually connected to anything. Seriously. So if I program a wash sequence, I'm stuck with it, no matter how nonsensical the sequence is.

My point is, all you need is access to the outlet. Not explosives.

I have a cancel button, too. It actually resets the cycle to whatever you have chosen on the selector knob. I have unplugged the machine and unplugged the control board in order to try to force some kind of hard reset, to no avail. I'll probably put the machine on the front lawn with a "free" sign to see if someone else wants to take a chance on it. I can buy a new bottom-of-the-line Whirlpool top-loader for about what the parts would cost to try to fix this one. Good enough for me. Their Roper and Estate lines have the lowest failure-rate of all top-loaders, probably because they are so simple and no-frills.

We bought a Frigidaire washer once. It was nothing but problems and only lasted about five years.

We've had our Maytag [? Maybe Westinghouse] set for years now and have had no problems.

Ivan Seeking said:
We bought a Frigidaire washer once. It was nothing but problems and only lasted about five years.

We've had our Maytag [? Maybe Westinghouse] set for years now and have had no problems.

Yeah, the Maytag one lasts so long because none of the buttons do anything. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
Turbo, just buy a laundry bag for clothing with straps, that's what I have always used. I also use them for washing delicate items I don't want pulled and twisted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3HAPG/?tag=pfamazon01-20
We've got one, though lingerie items dry very quickly on a rack, so we don't use it except for dresses or tops with spaghetti straps or cords. The more severe problem is with heavy things. That dryer ripped a strap off my wife's favorite corduroy overalls. We thought that was a fluke. It wasn't. After another incident of damage, I looked up the consumer reviews of that model dryer on-line. It's a very common complaint. Poor design that was never addressed with a fix.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

It's quite a maze. Maytag is now owned and produced by Whirlpool, with cross-overs into Kenmore. I heard from a Sears service guy that some of the Kenmore washers are now being produced by Samsung, and that getting parts can involve long waits. I'm not sure what to do...

turbo-1 said:
It's quite a maze. Maytag is now owned and produced by Whirlpool, with cross-overs into Kenmore. I heard from a Sears service guy that some of the Kenmore washers are now being produced by Samsung, and that getting parts can involve long waits. I'm not sure what to do...

Haha, that's the one! They are Whirlpool.

I've had the same old Sears washer and dryer for over 30 years. There has been a couple of failed/broken parts over the years, but were cheap and easy to install after calling Sears with the part number.

dlgoff said:
I've had the same old Sears washer and dryer for over 30 years. There has been a couple of failed/broken parts over the years, but were cheap and easy to install after calling Sears with the part number.
I could throw my business their way, especially if they have some machines with mechanical timers instead of microprocessors. I plan on touring some appliance stores tomorrow, to see what is out there. We need a washing machine. I wish we had taken the old GE washer and drier out of our old place and moved them here. They were rock-solid. I never had to do anything to the washer, but the dryer was very easy to work on.

Update: I settled on a Kenmore HE top-loader, made by Whirlpool, and very similar to Whirlpool's Maytag Bravos. We have done large loads, small ones, bulky ones, loads that consisted mostly of king-sized comforter, blankets, etc, and it has performed quite well in all applications. Like the Bravos, it doesn't have a conventional agitator. It has a spin-plate at the bottom of the basket, and the plate and the basket counter-rotate to mix up the clothing, while drawing water from the bottom of the drum and spraying it on the top of the load in each cycle (wash, rinse). The washer uses about the same energy and water as a front-loader, but is more compact. Also it is VERY quiet and it doesn't make the house rock-n-roll during the spin cycle like the Frigidaire front-loader did. The clothes come out as dry as they did out of the front loader, so dryer time is kept as low as possible. Cleaning efficiency is as good or better than the front-loader, using only Arm and Hammer HE detergent.

So, does it have a microprocessor?

Anyway, you'll probably be able to get parts for years to come.

Congratulations for the new purchase.

I have a friend of mine who owns an outdoor shooting range here in town. He's looking for targets...

dlgoff said:
So, does it have a microprocessor?

Anyway, you'll probably be able to get parts for years to come.

Congratulations for the new purchase.
Unfortunately, it does have a microprocessor. We need a HE machine, since we are on a well, not a public water supply, and it seems all the HE machines (top and front-loaders) have control boards. At least the machine is extremely similar in layout, controls, etc, to the Whirlpool/Maytag washers that it is derived from, so parts shouldn't be an issue for quite a while if it fails.

I'm going to buy a surge-protector for it - we live out in the boonies and the power probably isn't as nice and clean as in more urban places. Out on the poles, there is a single "hot" wire feeding every transformer for miles along this road, so dips and surges are probably inevitable.

For $518, it was about as good a deal as I could get - other appliance stores couldn't get close to that.

Oh, that is a good deal turbo.

1. Why is my Frigidaire Gallery Series washer and dryer failing after only 5 years?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the appliances were not properly maintained or used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Another possibility is that there was a defect in the design or manufacturing of the products. It is also possible that there were external factors, such as power surges or water damage, that contributed to the failure. To determine the exact cause, it is best to consult a professional technician or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

2. Is it common for Frigidaire Gallery Series washers and dryers to fail after only 5 years?

It is difficult to say without knowing the specific circumstances of your appliances. Generally, Frigidaire is a reputable brand and their products are known to be durable and long-lasting. However, like any appliance, regular maintenance and proper usage are key to extending the lifespan of your washer and dryer. If you are experiencing issues with your appliances, it is best to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

3. Can I fix the issue myself or do I need a professional?

This depends on the specific issue and your level of expertise in appliance repair. If you are not familiar with the inner workings of washers and dryers, it is best to seek the help of a professional technician. Trying to fix the issue yourself may cause further damage and could potentially be dangerous. However, if you are experienced in appliance repair and have the necessary tools and knowledge, you may be able to fix the issue on your own.

4. Will the manufacturer cover the cost of repairs or replacement?

This also depends on the specific circumstances and the warranty on your appliances. Most manufacturers offer a limited warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship for a certain period of time. If your appliances are still within the warranty period and the failure is due to a defect, the manufacturer may cover the cost of repairs or replacement. If the warranty has expired, you may have to cover the cost of repairs yourself.

5. How can I prevent my Frigidaire Gallery Series washer and dryer from failing in the future?

To prevent future failures, it is important to properly maintain your appliances and use them according to the manufacturer's instructions. This includes cleaning and inspecting them regularly, using the recommended detergent and water temperature, and not overloading the machines. It is also a good idea to invest in a surge protector to protect your appliances from power surges. Additionally, if you notice any unusual noises or issues with your appliances, it is best to address them immediately before they turn into bigger problems.