Find the Perfect DC Motor for Your Robot: Tips and Tricks for Calculating Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of selecting a DC motor for a robot. The main factors to consider are torque, mass, acceleration, distance and power. It is suggested to simplify the calculation by ignoring the wheels and rotary motion and instead focus on the power needed to move the robot at a constant speed. Additionally, 50% efficiency should be assumed when calculating the motor size. The starting torque of the motor should also be taken into consideration. BLDC motors and motor controllers are commonly used in robotics and their data sheets can provide information on starting torque.
elimenohpee
Hello

I need a little help here. I need to pick a DC motor to be used on a robot. I'm trying to calculate a minimum torque the motor should be able to produce, but I'm a little confused.

torque = Force * distance = Mass * acceleration * distance

(Ignoring moment of inertia created by the motor's load)

Mass will be the total mass of the robot, distance the radius of the wheels to be chosen. But how do I quantify acceleration?? I can see specifying a maximum speed, but I'm not sure how to account for this.

Or perhaps there is an easier way to calculate the torques I should be accounting for.

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simplify it first by ignoring the wheels and rotary motion.

If you have an object of mass m, and you want to accelerate it at rate a, then F=ma tells you the force needed.

But more likely, the motor needs to be sized by the power needed to move the robot at constant speed. That is determined by friction for a flat surface, or to go up an incline, it depends on the mass and angle of incline. I think you can calculate those.

So, step 1, Calculate the power required for the robot physics. Assume 50% efficiency so that the motor size is twice that.

Step 2, make sure that the motor has sufficient torque at zero speed to start motion and accelerate. That depends on motor type. BLDC motors and motor controllers are often used in robotics. Search for a BLDC motor of the required power, then check the data sheet to see the starting torque.

What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is commonly used in a variety of applications, such as vehicles, household appliances, and industrial machinery.

What factors should I consider when picking a DC motor?

Some important factors to consider when picking a DC motor include the required torque and speed, power supply voltage, size and weight limitations, and the motor's efficiency and reliability.

What is the difference between brushed and brushless DC motors?

Brushed DC motors use a mechanical commutator and brushes to switch the direction of current flow, while brushless DC motors use electronic commutation. Brushed motors are simpler and less expensive, but brushless motors have higher efficiency and require less maintenance.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a DC motor?

The advantages of using a DC motor include its simple design, easy speed control, and high torque at low speeds. However, DC motors may produce electrical noise, require regular maintenance, and have limited speed and torque ranges compared to other types of motors.

How do I determine the size and power rating of a DC motor for my application?

The size and power rating of a DC motor depend on the specific requirements of your application. You can consult with a motor manufacturer or engineer to determine the appropriate motor size and power based on your desired speed, torque, and voltage requirements.