Problems obtaining ferric oxide

• Thread starter Matt16
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a school project involving the creation of ferric oxide (Fe2O3) by immersing a piece of iron in a solution of tap water and salt. The iron is connected to the positive terminal of a battery charger and a pencil graphite is attached to the negative wire. After plugging in the charger, a bluish-green substance forms on the iron and at the bottom of the container. The substance is most likely a copper compound and there are other ways to create rust.
Matt16
I am making ferric oxide (Fe2O3) for a school project. I have immersed a piece of iron in a solution of tap water and salt (to allow for electrical conductivity). The piece of iron in attached to the positive terminal of a battery charger and the negative wire is attached to a section of graphite from a pencil. When i plug in the charger, the negative wire starts bubbling and after a while, a blueish-green substance begins to form at the bottom of the container and on the piece of iron.

What is this substance bluish-green? How do i correct my procedure to obtain rust?

Physics news on Phys.org
What color is FeO? This is a pure guess on my part, but could you be making that?

My guess is that it's an oxide of copper. The wire you're using is most-likely an alloy of it, and it is participating in the reaction.

Hello, the bluish-green substance is more likely to be a copper compound rather than iron. The how and why of it is uncertain for now, it may involve electrochemical oxidation order.

1. What is ferric oxide and why is it important?

Ferric oxide, also known as iron(III) oxide, is a chemical compound composed of iron and oxygen. It is commonly used in various industries such as pigments, ceramics, and electronics due to its stability and high iron content.

2. What are some common problems encountered when obtaining ferric oxide?

Some common problems include impurities in the raw materials, difficulty in achieving the desired particle size and shape, and challenges in controlling the reaction conditions to produce a consistent product.

3. How is ferric oxide typically obtained?

Ferric oxide is typically obtained through the thermal decomposition of iron(III) hydroxide or iron(III) nitrate. It can also be produced through the oxidation of iron(II) compounds or by roasting iron ores.

4. What factors can affect the production of ferric oxide?

The production of ferric oxide can be affected by various factors such as the purity and quality of the raw materials, the reaction temperature and duration, and the presence of catalysts or impurities. Other factors include the type of reactor used and the method of purification.

5. How can problems obtaining ferric oxide be overcome?

To overcome problems in obtaining ferric oxide, careful selection and quality control of raw materials, optimization of reaction conditions, and proper purification techniques can be employed. Additionally, regular monitoring and troubleshooting can help identify and address any issues that may arise during the production process.