What Determines Absolute Dates in Radiometric Dating?

• Thread starter david13579
  • Start date
In summary, the measurement that would help determine absolute dates by radiometric means is the accumulation of the daughter isotope, the loss of parent isotopes, and the loss of daughter isotopes. This is because each isotope ratio should give identical answers, but if any of the daughters is lost, it changes all ratios for all isotopes in the chain. Therefore, the correct answer would be D, all three of these options.
david13579

Homework Statement

Which measurement would help determine absolute dates by radiometric means?

A. the accumulation of the daughter isotope
B. the loss of parent isotopes
C. the loss of daughter isotopes
D. all three of these
E. A&B only

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that it is E since radio dating is measuring the ration of the original isotope versus the new one but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you think loss of daughter isotopes doesn't influence dating result?

Does it change the ratio?

I must admit I am not sure how to understand "absolute date" in this context, so I can be thinking wrong.

Borek said:
So you think loss of daughter isotopes doesn't influence dating result?

Does it change the ratio?

I must admit I am not sure how to understand "absolute date" in this context, so I can be thinking wrong.

How I see it is x becomes y and y becomes z but the way I see it y and z and both daughters and the ratio of y and z together versus x is what would give the age. Ie, how I see it no daughters are lost. I'm not sure though which is why I ask for help.

Each isotope ratio gives separate answer - and each answer should be identical. However, if any of the daughters is lost, it changes all ratios for all isotopes were one isotope is above and one is below the daughter in the chain.

So the answer is D, all of the above?

If I understand the question correctly - yes.

What is radiometric dating?

Radiometric dating is a method used to determine the age of rocks and other materials based on the decay of radioactive isotopes.

How does radiometric dating work?

Radiometric dating works by measuring the amount of radioactive decay in a sample and comparing it to the amount of stable isotopes. This can help determine the age of the sample by using known decay rates.

What types of materials can be dated using radiometric dating?

Radiometric dating can be used on igneous rocks, metamorphic rocks, and some minerals in sedimentary rocks. It can also be used to date organic materials such as fossils or ancient artifacts.

How accurate is radiometric dating?

The accuracy of radiometric dating depends on a variety of factors, such as the type of material being dated and the decay rate of the radioactive isotope. In general, it is considered to be a reliable method for determining the age of materials.

What are some limitations of radiometric dating?

One limitation of radiometric dating is that it can only be used to date materials that contain radioactive isotopes. It also assumes that the rate of decay has remained constant over time, which may not always be the case. Additionally, contamination or loss of isotopes over time can affect the accuracy of the results.