What are the prerequisites for studying Lie theory and which books should I use?

In summary, Saussy is looking for recommendations on books to study Lie theory, as they already have knowledge in topology and differential geometry. Two suggested references are Introduction to Smooth Manifolds by Lee and Matrix groups by Baker, both of which cover material on Lie groups and Lie algebras. The former also includes content on Lee groups, while the latter incorporates concepts from linear algebra and matrices.
Saussy
I have been working on getting the necessary mathematical education to start working on more advanced physics. The need for Lie theory has come up. I already know topology and differential geometry. Are there any other prerequisites to begin studying Lie theory? What books should I look into for the prerequisites and Lie theory itself?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Saussy! :smile:

I've got two excellent references for you:
  • Introduction to Smooth Manifolds by Lee. Fine, this is a differential geometry book, but it has quite a few material on Lee groups and stuff. It won't be comprehensive, but it's certainly worth a look.
  • Matrix groups by Baker: you won't need too much differential geometry for this one. Knowing the basic notions is good enough. It also deals a lot with linear algebra and matrices. But it's an excellent reference for Lie groups and Lie algebra's as well!

What is Lie theory and why is it important?

Lie theory is a branch of mathematics that studies continuous symmetries and their associated algebraic structures. It is important because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the prerequisites for studying Lie theory?

The prerequisites for studying Lie theory include a strong understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and abstract algebra. A working knowledge of differential equations and topology is also helpful.

What are the main applications of Lie theory?

Lie theory has many applications in diverse fields such as quantum mechanics, differential geometry, and control theory. It is also used in the study of continuous groups, Lie algebras, and differential equations.

What is the difference between Lie groups and Lie algebras?

Lie groups are mathematical objects that describe continuous symmetries, while Lie algebras are associated algebraic structures that describe the infinitesimal generators of these symmetries. In other words, Lie groups are continuous and Lie algebras are discrete.

What are some good resources for learning about Lie theory?

There are many good resources for learning about Lie theory, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes. Some recommended texts include "Introduction to Lie Algebras" by Karin Erdmann and Mark Wildon, and "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations" by Brian C. Hall.