Noether's Theorem and Conservation of Information

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether there is a specific symmetry, according to Noether's Theorem, that can explain the conservation of information. The use of "conservation of information" as a synonym for unitarity in QM is mentioned, which implies that probabilities are conserved. The question remains whether there is a symmetry in nature that can explain this conservation.
Feeble Wonk
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I'm trying to find out if there is a specific symmetry (according to Noether's Theorem) that is reflected in the conservation of information?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am bumping this thread because I was wondering it myself. I can't claim the mathematical chops for understanding Noether's theorem, but perhaps someone can give me some idea/well-informed speculation about this question, or even if it's sensible.

Leonard Susskind is perhaps the most reputable physicist to use the term "conservation of information" as a synonym for unitarity in QM. Wikipedia tells me unitarity implies "probabilities are numbers between 0 and 1 whose sum is conserved". So we seem to have some sort of conserved quantity here... although probabilities seem quite different a sort of thing than energy or momentum. So can we point to a symmetry in nature that reflects the fact that the square of the magnitude of a probability amplitude is conserved?

Hope I've understood this correctly, thanks

1. What is Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is a fundamental concept in physics that states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conservation law. It was first proposed by mathematician Emmy Noether in 1915.

2. What is the relationship between Noether's Theorem and conservation of information?

Noether's Theorem is closely related to conservation of information because it states that physical laws are invariant under certain transformations, which implies that the information about a system's properties remains constant over time.

3. How does Noether's Theorem apply to the conservation of energy?

Noether's Theorem applies to the conservation of energy through the concept of time translation symmetry. In other words, the laws of physics remain the same regardless of when they are applied, which leads to the conservation of energy.

4. Can Noether's Theorem be applied to other conservation laws?

Yes, Noether's Theorem can be applied to other conservation laws such as conservation of momentum, angular momentum, and electric charge. This is because all of these laws are based on symmetries in physical systems.

5. Why is Noether's Theorem important in physics?

Noether's Theorem is important in physics because it provides a deep understanding of the connection between symmetries and conservation laws. It also allows for the prediction of new conservation laws based on symmetries, which has been crucial in the development of modern physics theories.