The way mathematics should be taught

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's frustration with how math is taught in grammar and high school, where the focus is on memorization of formulas rather than understanding the reasoning behind them. The speaker believes that math should be taught through assisted self-discovery and by showing the bigger picture, as demonstrated with the concept of pi. They also mention the lack of connection to the outside world and the potential beauty of math being hidden by bad teaching. The conversation concludes with the idea that the real problem is not teaching people how to think mathematically and the lack of qualified math teachers in pre-tertiary education.
Nano-Passion
It bugs me how terrible my math classes were in grammar and high school. Many teach the beauty of mathematics at a superficial level. They simply teach you formulas largely through memorization. When it should be taught through assisted self-discovery, showing the bigger picture, etc..

At grammar school the following formula was slapped on the black board: c^2=a^2+b^2

All I saw was a bunch of letters and numbers, no beauty or "coolness factor" was discovered.

If it was taught the reasoning of it all through the teacher slowly showing us why c^2=a^2+b^2 I would have developed a liking towards the concept. Such as with
pythagorean2.png

Or through assisted self-discovery was taught the beauty of pi by the following dialogue and reasoning: http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/piorigin/piorigin.html

I would have seen more of the beauty of mathematics much earlier.

Seriously now, one of the reason that mathematics isn't one of the more popular fields is because the beauty is much more obscure and only gives itself up under careful scrutiny. It is much easier to develop a connection with other fields (psychology, etc.) because there is an immediate visible connection to the outside world.

Taking mathematics out of context and slapping formulas simply does no merit to the potential beauty that is often hidden by bad teaching.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
It bugs me how terrible my math classes were in grammar and high school. Many teach the beauty of mathematics at a superficial level. They simply teach you formulas largely through memorization. When it should be taught through assisted self-discovery, showing the bigger picture, etc..

At grammar school the following formula was slapped on the black board: c^2=a^2+b^2

All I saw was a bunch of letters and numbers, no beauty or "coolness factor" was discovered.

If it was taught the reasoning of it all through the teacher slowly showing us why c^2=a^2+b^2 I would have developed a liking towards the concept. Such as with
pythagorean2.png

Or through assisted self-discovery was taught the beauty of pi by the following dialogue and reasoning: http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/piorigin/piorigin.html

I would have seen more of the beauty of mathematics much earlier.

Seriously now, one of the reason that mathematics isn't one of the more popular fields is because the beauty is much more obscure and only gives itself up under careful scrutiny. It is much easier to develop a connection with other fields (psychology, etc.) because there is an immediate visible connection to the outside world.

Taking mathematics out of context and slapping formulas simply does no merit to the potential beauty that is often hidden by bad teaching.

I think you are right but the real problem in my opinion is not teaching people how to think mathematically. Even a bad math text will reveal beauty to someone who knows how to think mathematically.

One thing you should note is that a lot of math teachers in pre-tertiary study do not have the background to teach in this context: most people with masters or other post graduate qualifications do not go into high school (and I don't blame them), and even those with bachelors tend not to go into teaching.

1. What is the best way to teach mathematics?

The best way to teach mathematics is by using a combination of hands-on activities, visual aids, and real-life examples. This allows students to see the practical applications of mathematics and makes it easier for them to understand and retain the concepts.

2. Should mathematics be taught using traditional methods or more modern approaches?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Different students may respond better to different teaching methods. It is important for teachers to use a variety of approaches and adapt their teaching style to meet the needs of their students.

3. Is it necessary for students to memorize formulas in mathematics?

While memorization may be helpful in some cases, it is more important for students to understand the concepts and be able to apply them in different situations. Encouraging critical thinking and problem-solving skills is more beneficial in the long run.

4. How can teachers make mathematics more engaging for students?

Incorporating games, puzzles, and real-world scenarios into lessons can make mathematics more engaging for students. Teachers can also encourage group work and hands-on activities to make learning more interactive and fun.

5. Should mathematics be taught in a linear or spiral approach?

Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. A linear approach allows for a more in-depth understanding of a specific topic, while a spiral approach allows for a wider coverage of topics. It ultimately depends on the curriculum and the needs of the students.