How does gravity affect the passage of time?

• Thread starter AcrylicAce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of time dilation in relation to gravity. The person is reading "The Elegant Universe" and is confused about how gravity affects time. They mention a scenario where two individuals with clocks attached to them are in space, one closer to the sun than the other. The book states that the person closer to the sun will experience time moving slower, which seems contradictory to what they had previously learned about time dilation. They are seeking an explanation in simple terms and reference Kepler's 3rd law and GPS satellites as examples. Another person mentions a real-life experiment that demonstrates the effects of gravity on time. Ultimately, the concept is that the closer an object is to a gravitational source, the slower time will pass for
AcrylicAce
Hi,
I just started reading "The Elegant Universe" as an introduction to physics. Up to this point I thought I understood everything but now I get a to a part that doesn't make sense to me and was hoping someone could explain it.

If you have the book you can follow along with what I am talking about... at the bottom of page 74 and beginning of page 75 he talks about George and Gracie floating in space, each with large digital clocks attached to them. He also states there is a line attached to a nearby spaceship and then to the sun. As George pulls himself toward the sun Brian Greene states that his clock will go slower and slower the closer he gets to the sun. This seems contradictory to what has been said about time previously... the faster an object is moving the slower time goes. Because Gracie is farther away from the sun (takes her longer to make one orbit around the sun) then she is moving faster than George and so Gracie's time clock should be moving slower than George's.

If you do not have the book and don't understand what I am asking... basically I think what I am trying to understand is: How does gravity affect time?

I'm am not sure what it is that I do not understand but if someone could explain it to me I would really appreciate it. Like I said, I am very new to this so please explain in very general easy to understand terms.

Thanks,
AcrylicAce

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know if it is possible to explain accurately without diving into the mathematics of GR. In a simplified way, the deeper you are in a gravitational potential well, the slower your clock ticks as observed by observers far away from any gravitational influence.

You don't need General Relativity, just...
AcrylicAce said:
Because Gracie is farther away from the sun (takes her longer to make one orbit around the sun) then she is moving faster than George
Are you quite sure? Haven't you forgotten Kepler's 3rd law?

AcrylicAce said:
Hi,
I just started reading "The Elegant Universe" as an introduction to physics. Up to this point I thought I understood everything but now I get a to a part that doesn't make sense to me and was hoping someone could explain it.

If you have the book you can follow along with what I am talking about... at the bottom of page 74 and beginning of page 75 he talks about George and Gracie floating in space, each with large digital clocks attached to them. He also states there is a line attached to a nearby spaceship and then to the sun. As George pulls himself toward the sun Brian Greene states that his clock will go slower and slower the closer he gets to the sun. This seems contradictory to what has been said about time previously... the faster an object is moving the slower time goes. Because Gracie is farther away from the sun (takes her longer to make one orbit around the sun) then she is moving faster than George and so Gracie's time clock should be moving slower than George's.

If you do not have the book and don't understand what I am asking... basically I think what I am trying to understand is: How does gravity affect time?

I'm am not sure what it is that I do not understand but if someone could explain it to me I would really appreciate it. Like I said, I am very new to this so please explain in very general easy to understand terms.

Thanks,
AcrylicAce

I just read the excerpt and in simple easy to understand terms: Greene didn't say they were orbiting the sun.

Given that, you were right to be confused, great insight! As Greene mentions, the effect of gravitational time dilation in our solar system is small, and relative velocity may have had a larger impact.

A decent real world analogy to objects experiencing both types of time dilation are satellites. I think for GPS satellites the dilation caused by relative velocity outpaces that of gravitational dilation.

xts said:
You don't need General Relativity, just...

Are you quite sure? Haven't you forgotten Kepler's 3rd law?

Certainly have NOT forgotten Kepler's 3rd law... I just stated in my original post that I am reading this book as in introduction to physics... I have never learned Kepler's 3rd law. Thanks for the input though.

So... to reply to the others that posted... Is he talking about just gravity and for simplicity's sake not talking about the orbit around the sun?

I'm sorry... I still don't completely understand. The more gravitational force the slower time moves relative to an outside observer?

AcrylicAce;3436931iut said:
I'm sorry... I still don't completely understand. The more gravitational force the slower time moves relative to an outside observer?
Yes. Time is passing a bit slower here at the bottom of our gravitational well than it is up on board the ISS.

Here is a link about a guy that demonstrated this with nothing more than a super accurate clock, a camper van and a family vacation up into the mountains!

http://leapsecond.com/great2005/

Executive summary: After 2 days spent at an altitude of 5400 feet, his Cesium clocks has gained 22 nanoseconds.

Last edited:

What is the book "Hi, I just started reading" about?

The book "Hi, I just started reading" is about a person's journey as they begin to explore the wonderful world of reading. It follows their experiences, struggles, and triumphs as they discover the joys of literature.

Who is the author of "Hi, I just started reading"?

The author of "Hi, I just started reading" is not specified as it is a hypothetical book title. However, the author would be the person who wrote the book being referred to.

Is "Hi, I just started reading" a fiction or non-fiction book?

As "Hi, I just started reading" is a hypothetical book title, it could be either fiction or non-fiction depending on the content of the book being referred to.

What inspired the writing of "Hi, I just started reading"?

Again, as "Hi, I just started reading" is a hypothetical book title, the inspiration behind it could vary. It could be based on personal experiences, societal issues, or anything else that the author finds interesting or important.

Are there any sequels or related books to "Hi, I just started reading"?

As "Hi, I just started reading" is a hypothetical book title, there may or may not be sequels or related books. It would depend on the author's decision to continue the story or explore similar themes in other works.