Fighting viruses, defending the net

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net
In summary, viruses can spread through various means such as infected files, links, email attachments, and physical contact. The best way to protect your computer is to regularly update antivirus software, avoid suspicious emails or links, and backup important files. Viruses can also infect smartphones, so it is important to install antivirus software and be cautious with downloads. Firewalls act as a barrier between your computer and the internet, helping to prevent viruses from entering your system. If your computer is infected with a virus, disconnect it from the internet and run a full system scan. Seek professional help if the virus cannot be removed or reset your computer to factory settings.
rhody
Gold Member
Another http://www.ted.com/talks/mikko_hypponen_fighting_viruses_defending_the_net.html" talk: Mikko is very knowledgeable...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Another interesting video is his trip to Pakistan, where he interviews the authors of Brain: http://campaigns.f-secure.com/brain/

Interesting video and thanks for sharing rhody. Indeed there is a lot of crime going on. I never even knew that people made billions off cyber-crime. No matter how much security there is, I believe that criminals go around whatever it is that is implemented.

1. How do viruses spread?

Viruses can spread through various means, such as through infected files or links, email attachments, and even through physical contact with infected individuals.

2. What is the best way to protect my computer from viruses?

The best way to protect your computer from viruses is to install and regularly update antivirus software, avoid opening suspicious emails or links, and regularly backup your important files.

3. Can viruses infect my smartphone?

Yes, viruses can also infect smartphones and other mobile devices. It is important to install antivirus software and be cautious when downloading apps or clicking on links on your smartphone.

4. How does a firewall help protect against viruses?

A firewall acts as a barrier between your computer and the internet, monitoring and blocking incoming traffic that may contain viruses or malware. This helps prevent viruses from entering your system and infecting your files.

5. What should I do if my computer is infected with a virus?

If you suspect your computer is infected with a virus, you should immediately disconnect it from the internet and run a full system scan with your antivirus software. If the virus cannot be removed, you may need to seek help from a professional or reset your computer to factory settings.