Why is this idea on addition of velocities in SR wrong?

In summary: Thanks for pointing it out!In summary, your reasoning appears to go like this:1) You define u1 and u2, but use v in formulas, without definition.2) You try to scale the relative speed of the ball and spaceship, to the outside observer. But this (if it worked as described ... it doesn't) scaled relative speed doesn't factor in u1. Doesn't it seem like its needed? Conceptually closer to the mark (but still wrong) would by u1 + u2 * (scale factor from u1).3) You don't consider relativity of simultaneity. When you make a statement: at t0, the ball is d0 from the passenger (according to the passenger), you
nhmllr
I like to try and derive little things by myself if I think it is manageable. One such thing is the addition of velocities. I gave it a stab, got an answer, and it turned out to be wrong. So tell me where my logic messes up.

There's a spaceship moving at velocity u1. A man in the spaceship throws a ball, which from his POV is thrown at velocity u2 in the same direction of the ship. Let's look at the man in the spaceship's POV:
In 1 unit of time, the ball will move u2 units of distance.

Now, from a man outside of the spaceship, any of distance d0 in the spaceship is observed to have a distance of d0√(1-u12/c2)

Also, any event that takes a time of t0 in the spaceship is observed take the time of t0/√(1-u12/c2)

So, in the spaceship the ball travels d0/t0

But outside the spaceship, I would think that it would take d0/t0 * (1-u12/c2)

But that's not it... What's wrong with my reasoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it's because you're not taking into account the third member of the Holy Trinity of relativity (besides length contraction and time dilation): relativity of simultaneity.

I haven't worked out this particular example, but in my experience, almost all apparent paradoxes and inconsistencies that newcomers to SR come up with, turn out to boil down to this.

jtbell said:
I suspect it's because you're not taking into account the third member of the Holy Trinity of relativity (besides length contraction and time dilation): relativity of simultaneity.

I haven't worked out this particular example, but in my experience, almost all apparent paradoxes and inconsistencies that newcomers to SR come up with, turn out to boil down to this.

You might be right, but looking at the example, I don't see how that would be it. There's only one event occurring in one place.

Many things.

1) You define u1 and u2, but use v in formulas, without definition.

2) You try to scale the relative speed of the ball and spaceship, to the outside observer. But this (if it worked as described ... it doesn't) scaled relative speed doesn't factor in u1. Doesn't it seem like its needed? Conceptually closer to the mark (but still wrong) would by u1 + u2 * (scale factor from u1).

3) You don't consider relativity of simultaneity. When you make a statement: at t0, the ball is d0 from the passenger (according to the passenger), you are also implying the statement that passenger's clock reading t0 is simultaneous with the event of ball being d0 away from passenger (all according to passenger). However you ignore that these events are not simultaneous according to the outside observer. Conversely, a pair of simultaneous events for the ball and passenger according to the outside observer, will be non-simultaneous event for the passenger.

[edit: you corrected (1) since I wrote this. Good. The other two comments still apply.]

PAllen said:
3) You don't consider relativity of simultaneity. When you make a statement: at t0, the ball is d0 from the passenger (according to the passenger), you are also implying the statement that passenger's clock reading t0 is simultaneous with the event of ball being d0 away from passenger (all according to passenger). However you ignore that these events are not simultaneous according to the outside observer. Conversely, a pair of simultaneous events for the ball and passenger according to the outside observer, will be non-simultaneous event for the passenger.

Hmm... That's a good point. This seems to be trickier than I thought.

1. What is the idea of addition of velocities in Special Relativity (SR)?

In SR, the idea of addition of velocities refers to the concept of how velocities combine when an object is moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. This idea is important in understanding the behavior of particles and objects in motion.

2. Why is the idea of addition of velocities in SR considered wrong?

The idea of addition of velocities in SR is considered wrong because it is based on a classical approach that does not take into account the principles of relativity. In SR, velocities do not simply add up as they do in classical mechanics, but instead, they combine in a more complex manner.

3. What is the correct way to add velocities in SR?

In SR, velocities should be added using the relativistic velocity addition formula, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This formula is necessary to accurately describe the behavior of particles and objects at high speeds.

4. What are the consequences of using the wrong idea of addition of velocities in SR?

Using the wrong idea of velocity addition in SR can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of physical phenomena. It can also result in paradoxes, such as the famous "twin paradox," where one twin appears to age slower than the other due to differences in their relative velocities.

5. How does the correct idea of addition of velocities in SR impact our understanding of the universe?

The correct idea of addition of velocities in SR is crucial for our understanding of the universe. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of particles and objects at high speeds, which is essential for fields such as astrophysics and particle physics. It also plays a significant role in our understanding of time, space, and the fundamental principles of relativity.