Troubleshooting Vertical Margin Issues in MS Word

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with margins in a Microsoft Word document. The speaker is experiencing issues with the top and bottom margins, which seem to be connected and do not allow for any blank space. They have attempted to adjust the margins through the format and document settings, but have not been successful. Another person suggests adjusting the "gutter" option to zero, but the speaker still has no margins. They express frustration and mention accidentally hitting something that may have caused the issue. The conversation ends with the suggestion to seek further help.
yungman
I encounter another problem, some how I get the top and bottom margin mess up. I attached a blank document that has the problem. If you look and the vertical margin on the left side, you'll see it goes all the way up to the top and all the way down to the bottom. This mean I can type from the very top of the page to the very bottom with no blanks. I tried to set the margin by double left click on the vertical ruler on the left, and it show I have set 0.5" for both top and bottom. But as you can see it is not.

Also usually I can point the mouse arrow to the set margin and pull it down. But in this case it does not work. How can I get out of this?

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 248
Computer science news on Phys.org
If I understand your problem correctly you have to go to format, document, then set the top, bottom, left, and right to the space you like. Below those there should be an options called “header and footer” and “gutter”. Set those equal to zero and it’ll let you write from top to bottom, left to right with no blanks. Here is a word of caution though. It won’t let you print that way, or at least it won’t print everything. The sides and top will cut off to an extent.

chente12 said:
If I understand your problem correctly you have to go to format, document, then set the top, bottom, left, and right to the space you like. Below those there should be an options called “header and footer” and “gutter”. Set those equal to zero and it’ll let you write from top to bottom, left to right with no blanks. Here is a word of caution though. It won’t let you print that way, or at least it won’t print everything. The sides and top will cut off to an extent.

Thanks for the reply. Actually it's the opposite, I am stuck with no blanks on top and bottom and I cannot get out of that. If you open the Doc1 and you'll see that. I am trying to get half an inch of blanks on top and bottom. If you look at the format, you'll see that it is set for 0.5" at top and bottom already, but it does not show in the current view.

How does the print preview look?

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply. Actually it's the opposite, I am stuck with no blanks on top and bottom and I cannot get out of that. If you open the Doc1 and you'll see that. I am trying to get half an inch of blanks on top and bottom. If you look at the format, you'll see that it is set for 0.5" at top and bottom already, but it does not show in the current view.

Well, the thing is that there’s a “gutter” on the side margins, so even though you think you’re getting 1/2” margin, you’re actually getting a 1” margin. The top and bottom is already a 1/2” margin, but the sides aren’t. So set the “gutter” to zero, and you should be able to get 1/2” blanks on the sides. At least when i open your document it shows 1/2” margins on top and bottom and 1” margins on sides. So if it’s showing up correct on my Microsoft Word, the 1” margins on sides are making you believe the top and bottom aren’t really 1/2” margins. Hope that helps.

you select the margin button and give length and width in mm or cm in top and bottom line that's correct..

I like Serena said:
How does the print preview look?

The preview looks find with top and bottom margin. Only when I try to work on the document, the bottom of the previous page almost connect to the top of the next page!. I attached the modified Doc1 and you can see the typing start at the very top and goes all the way to the bottom of the page.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 220
chente12 said:
Well, the thing is that there’s a “gutter” on the side margins, so even though you think you’re getting 1/2” margin, you’re actually getting a 1” margin. The top and bottom is already a 1/2” margin, but the sides aren’t. So set the “gutter” to zero, and you should be able to get 1/2” blanks on the sides. At least when i open your document it shows 1/2” margins on top and bottom and 1” margins on sides. So if it’s showing up correct on my Microsoft Word, the 1” margins on sides are making you believe the top and bottom aren’t really 1/2” margins. Hope that helps.

Actually my problem is I have no margin! I tried setting the "gutter" and make not difference. I am trying to get some margin back.

yungman said:
Actually my problem is I have no margin! I tried setting the "gutter" and make not difference. I am trying to get some margin back.

I’m sorry that’s the only way i can think of (format, document, margins) to fix it, without looking at your document through your computer. When I open the document you attached on my computer, it shows a document with margins that are off, but it has margins nonetheless. Maybe someone can better help you with this. Good luck. :smile:

chente12 said:
I’m sorry that’s the only way i can think of (format, document, margins) to fix it, without looking at your document through your computer. When I open the document you attached on my computer, it shows a document with margins that are off, but it has margins nonetheless. Maybe someone can better help you with this. Good luck. :smile:

Thanks anyway. It's too bad if the document don't show if you open it at your end. I am not very good with this and I don't know how to even show it. I must have accidentally hit something. Even when I open a brand new blank document, the margin is wrong on my computer. So it is not like I can copy and paste the content of my problem document to a new one and get over it.

Another quick thing though...Have you tried going to FORMAT, DOCUMENT, and clicking DEFAULT, to make everything default again?

chente12 said:
Another quick thing though...Have you tried going to FORMAT, DOCUMENT, and clicking DEFAULT, to make everything default again?

I don't see DOCUMENT under FORMAT. Mine is an old 2003 version. I don't have anything newer. Could that be a problem?

I think there is no problem.
The regular view of Word shows you the document without top and bottom margins.
The print preview shows you how it will actually look on paper.

I like Serena said:
I think there is no problem.
The regular view of Word shows you the document without top and bottom margins.
The print preview shows you how it will actually look on paper.

Yes, in print view, it looks good.

But I tried everything in "VIEW" on the document, nothing can help. I went to FORMAT and tried "AUTO FORMAT" and it did not help. I tried "PAGE FORMAT" click on "DEFAULT" and did not help.

There is nothing wrong with the format of your page.

Any particular reason you want to view your top and bottom margins other than in print preview?

I like Serena said:
There is nothing wrong with the format of your page.

Any particular reason you want to view your top and bottom margins other than in print preview?

No, just I get used to see the margins and I would like to know what I did wrong. Till yesterday afternoon, the document looked fine. When I was experimenting on having separate paragraph within the numbering format, I must have accidentally did something I should not do. I learn the paragraph issue, and now this happened!

Thanks for all the help.

Alan

You should have a choice in the View menu option to specify whether you want to see the print layout view or the normal view.
Presumably you accidentally switched to normal view.

I like Serena said:
You should have a choice in the View menu option to specify whether you want to see the print layout view or the normal view.
Presumably you accidentally switched to normal view.

I am on the print Layout view. Not the Print view.

Let me re phrase the question. Right now, the vertical ruler on the left has the top and bottom margin stuck at both extreme and there is no way for me to pull it back down. If I can pull it down, all problems will be solved.

I solve the problem. When I open the problem doc, All I have to do is put the mouse arrow at the top of the page and get the "show white space" with the arrow pointing down and up. Just click left mouse button once and the top and bottom margin will drop down and is fixed.

Thanks anyway for all your time.

Alan

1. What is "Another question in MS Word"?

"Another question in MS Word" is a feature in Microsoft Word that allows users to insert a new question into the document. This feature is helpful for creating surveys, quizzes, or other question-based content.

2. How do I use "Another question in MS Word"?

To use "Another question in MS Word", first click on the "Insert" tab in the toolbar. Then, click on the "Question" button in the "Illustrations" group. A drop-down menu will appear with different question types to choose from. Select the desired type and the question will be inserted into the document.

3. Can I customize the "Another question in MS Word" feature?

Yes, you can customize the "Another question in MS Word" feature by selecting the question and clicking on the "Design" tab in the toolbar. From there, you can change the question type, font, color, and other formatting options.

4. How do I delete a question using "Another question in MS Word"?

To delete a question, simply click on the question and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. You can also right-click on the question and select "Delete" from the drop-down menu.

5. Is "Another question in MS Word" available in all versions of Microsoft Word?

No, "Another question in MS Word" is only available in certain versions of Microsoft Word, such as Word 2013 and later. If you are unsure if your version of Word has this feature, you can check the "Insert" tab in the toolbar to see if the "Question" button is available.