Second Sino-Japanese War, Japanese Radio Broadcasts

• Thread starter eiyaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, during World War II, Japan openly broadcasted reports of atrocities committed, including rape and murder of Chinese civilians, particularly in the city of Nanjing. This was confirmed by Western reporters and documented by the Japanese Army. The motivations for these actions are speculated to be to terrorize China into surrendering and to instill fear in their own soldiers. No similar massacres were reported in other cities, possibly due to the desire to impress upon their soldiers the consequences of not fighting.
eiyaz
Hello,

I had heard from a friend that during World War II, Japan had openly broadcasted over the radios about atrocities committed, detailing rape and murder of Chinese women and men, by Japanese forces. My friend told me he heard this over a television program. He did not cite sources. If there is information regarding this, can somebody please cite sources backing or refuting my friend's statements..

Thank you,
eiyaz

Physics news on Phys.org
eiyaz said:
Hello,

I had heard from a friend that during World War II, Japan had openly broadcasted over the radios about atrocities committed, detailing rape and murder of Chinese women and men, by Japanese forces. My friend told me he heard this over a television program. He did not cite sources. If there is information regarding this, can somebody please cite sources backing or refuting my friend's statements..

Thank you,
eiyaz

This BBC News article seems to confirm that the "Rape of Nanjing" was reported in Japanese newspapers. Westerners were in the city at the time and were able to report what happened. The Japanese Army took many pictures of the carnage. I can only speculate on the motivation. The Japanese had taken Shanghai with some difficulty, and the size of the Chinese Army was much larger than Japan's, although poorly equipped and led. By setting this gruesome example, perhaps the Japanese wanted to bring China to its knees by terror. Ir's also been said that the quick surrender of the Chinese Army at Nanjing caused the Japanese to lose respect for the Chinese, given the Japanese code of Bushido which forbids surrender. No such massacre was ever reported in Shanghai. Perhaps the Japanese Army wanted to impress on its own solders as to what happens to those who don't fight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/223038.stm

Last edited:

What was the Second Sino-Japanese War?

The Second Sino-Japanese War was a military conflict between China and Japan that lasted from 1937 to 1945. It was a result of Japan's aggression towards China, including the invasion and occupation of Chinese territories.

What role did Japanese radio broadcasts play in the Second Sino-Japanese War?

Japanese radio broadcasts played a significant role in the war as it was used as a tool for propaganda and psychological warfare. The broadcasts were used to spread misinformation and instill fear and confusion among the Chinese population.

How did Japanese radio broadcasts affect public opinion during the war?

Japanese radio broadcasts were highly effective in influencing public opinion during the war. The broadcasts were used to manipulate the Chinese population and create a sense of defeat and hopelessness among them. The Japanese also used the broadcasts to portray themselves as a superior and invincible force.

What were the main objectives of Japanese radio broadcasts during the war?

The main objectives of Japanese radio broadcasts during the war were to demoralize the Chinese population, gain support for the Japanese military, and justify Japan's actions in the war. The broadcasts also aimed to spread pro-Japanese sentiments and weaken the morale of Chinese soldiers.

How did the Chinese government respond to Japanese radio broadcasts during the war?

The Chinese government responded to Japanese radio broadcasts by establishing a counter-propaganda campaign. They used their own radio broadcasts to refute Japanese claims and boost the morale of their citizens. The Chinese government also encouraged its citizens to resist Japanese propaganda and maintain a strong sense of national pride and unity.