Quick domain of function question: Why do you have 2 cases for this function?

In summary, when considering the domain of a rational function, there are two cases to consider. First, the expression under the square root cannot be negative, so the sign of both the numerator and denominator must be the same - either positive or negative. Second, when there is no radical, the only restriction on the domain is when the denominator is equal to 0. Other factors, such as logarithms, may also restrict the domain.
nukeman

Homework Statement

This question here. Can someone please tell me why we have 2 cases to consider.

http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/0/domain.1/8.html

I don't understand why it says we have 2 cases to consider.

8 x - 4 > 0 and x - 3 > 0.
8 x - 4 < 0 and x - 3 < 0.

why is one greater than and less than?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression under the square root can not be negative. Therefore the sign of both the numerator and denominator have to be same - either positive or negative. ehild

ahhhg. I don't fully understand.

Well, as ehild said, the total value of the function under the radical cannot be negative in order to produce a real value. Therefore, both the numerator and the denominator under the radical must both be either positive or negative to result in a positive under the radical. The easiest way to solve [itex]\frac{8x-4}{x-3} = 0[/itex] is to solve the numerator such as this:

8x-4 ≥ 0, if x-3 > 0 and 8x-4 ≤ 0, if x-3 < 0

For simplicity, use something like this:

8x-4 = A
x-3 = B

Then solve:

A ≥ 0
= x ≥ 1/2

B > 0
= x > 3

Then the negative solution,

A ≤ 0
= x ≤ 1/2

B < 0
= x < 3

Putting the first two parts and the second sets together, you get the cases for the function:

A ≥ 1/2 if B > 3,
A ≤ 1/2 if B < 3

Hope this helps you!

ahhh GOT it!

how about this: (x^2 - 1) / (x + 1)

would it not just be x must be greater than -1 ??

why is the answer (-infinity, -1) (-1, infinity)

?

For a standard rational function, it is continuous except when the denominator is equal to 0. Therefore, you solve x + 1 = 0, and x = -1, giving you the only place that the denominator will be zero. However, if it was a radical like the other problem, the solution would be x > -1, since at all other places there will be a negative under the radical.

nukeman said:
ahhh GOT it!

how about this: (x^2 - 1) / (x + 1)

would it not just be x must be greater than -1 ??

why is the answer (-infinity, -1) (-1, infinity)

?
That's not a complete question.

What is it that you want to do with (x2-1)/(x+1) ?

so when there is NO radical... all we would do is evaluate the denominator and its always just must not equal to 0 ?

I don't understand, because let's take this question then.

1/(x + 5)

I would just go:

x + 5 > 0
x > -5

But from you are saying, that's wrong!

I should then just go x CANNOT equal 5, it would be (-∞, -5)(-5, ∞) ?

nukeman said:
so when there is NO radical... all we would do is evaluate the denominator and its always just must not equal to 0 ?
Correct, as long as there isn't something else going on with the function that somehow restricts values. That is what happened with the rational function under the square root; since there is not a real solution for a negative under a square root, it it not within the domain. Similar things could happen if there was something such as a logarithm somewhere in the function. As long as there are nothing except integer polynomials in the numerator and denominator, the only restrictions of the domain are values that result in the denominator being equal to 0.

And yes, the solution to the domain of [itex]\frac{1}{x+5}[/itex] would be (-∞,-5), (-5,∞).

1. Why do I need to use 2 cases for this function?

The reason for using two cases in a function is to account for different inputs or scenarios that may require a different mathematical expression or operation. By using two cases, the function can accurately represent the relationship between the input and output for all possible values.

2. Can I use just one case for this function instead of two?

It depends on the specific function and its purpose. In some cases, using one case may be sufficient to accurately represent the relationship between the input and output. However, in other cases, using multiple cases may be necessary to account for all possible scenarios and ensure the function is valid for all values.

3. How do I know which case to use for a specific input?

The specific case to use for a given input will depend on the conditions or criteria defined in the function. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its components to determine which case applies to a particular input.

4. Are there any advantages to using 2 cases instead of one in a function?

Using two cases in a function can provide more flexibility and accuracy in representing the relationship between the input and output. It can also allow for a more comprehensive understanding of the function and its behavior for different inputs.

5. How can I determine if a function needs 2 cases or just one?

The need for multiple cases in a function will depend on the specific function and its purpose. It is important to consider all possible inputs and their corresponding outputs to determine if multiple cases are necessary. In some cases, using one case may be sufficient, while in others, multiple cases may be required to accurately represent the function.