Prove that cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), cos(6∏/7) are the roots of this equation.

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that θ=0, 2∏/7, 4∏/7, 6∏/7 are the solutions to the equation cos(4θ)-cos(3θ)=0 and how to use this information to prove that cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), cos(6∏/7) are the roots of 8x3+4x2-4x-1. The method involves expanding multiple angles in terms of cosθ and factoring the resulting equation. The individual also asks for clarification on the use of x=cosθ in the solution process.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

When cos(4θ)=cos(3θ). prove that θ=0, 2∏/7, 4∏/7, 6∏/7

Hence prove that cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), cos(6∏/7) are the roots of 8x3+4x2-4x-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the first part, but i have some difficulty in solving the second part. For the second part, I start by letting x= cosθ and try to solve the equation, however, i notice that i couldn't simplify the equation... so it is correct to let x=cosθ? How is the second part related to the first part? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

When cos(4θ)=cos(3θ). prove that θ=0, 2∏/7, 4∏/7, 6∏/7

Hence prove that cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), cos(6∏/7) are the roots of 8x3+4x2-4x-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the first part, but i have some difficulty in solving the second part. For the second part, I start by letting x= cosθ and try to solve the equation, however, i notice that i couldn't simplify the equation... so it is correct to let x=cosθ? How is the second part related to the first part? Thanks in advance.

Look at the equation cos(4θ)-cos(3θ)=0 and expand the multiple angles in terms of cos(θ). Yes, put x=cos(θ). Then try to factor it.

Michael_Light said:
so it is correct to let x=cosθ?
Yes. Do you know how to expand cos(a+b)?

1. What is the equation that has cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), and cos(6∏/7) as its roots?

The equation is x^3 - 3/4x^2 - 1/4x + 1/8 = 0.

2. How can you prove that cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), and cos(6∏/7) are the roots of this equation?

By using the trigonometric identity cos(2∏/7) = 2cos^2(∏/7) - 1, we can rewrite the equation as 2x^3 - 3x^2 - 1/2x + 1/8 = 0. Then, using the fact that cos^2(∏/7) = (1 + cos(2∏/7))/2 and plugging in the values of cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), and cos(6∏/7), we can see that the equation equals 0, thus proving that these three values are the roots.

3. Why are the roots of this equation significant?

The roots of this equation represent the solutions to a specific problem in mathematics, and they have important applications in fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering. In this case, the roots represent the values of the cosine function at certain angles, which can be used to solve various problems involving triangles and circular motion.

4. Are there other equations with similar roots to this one?

Yes, there are other equations with similar roots. For example, the equation x^3 - x^2 - 1/4x + 1/8 = 0 also has cos(2∏/7), cos(4∏/7), and cos(6∏/7) as its roots. These types of equations are called trigonometric equations and often involve solutions to problems involving angles and circular motion.

5. How can these roots be used in real-world applications?

These roots can be used in real-world applications such as solving problems involving triangles, circular motion, and wave phenomena. For example, in engineering, they can be used to calculate the forces and motion of objects moving in circular paths. In physics, they can be used to study the behavior of waves and oscillations. In general, the roots of this equation have many practical applications in various fields of science and mathematics.