Electron vs. Photon's electrical potential

In summary,The potential for a photon, traveling in empty space, is described by the equation μ=cosθ and ω=w. The potential is associated with the hemisphere, and w is the plasmon frequency.
zheng89120
Hi guys,

After reading a paper about electron scattering, I became very interested. So if an electron is traveling in empty space, the electron's potential (according to the paper) is supposedly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31694672@N07/
(I used flickr and Glui to post the particular Electron equation)

In the equation, the high-lighted part is an associated Legendre's function, μ is cos θ, and I was not sure what ω would be.

Anyhow, I was wondering what the potential would look like for a PHOTON, traveling in empty space (instead of an electron).(Un-necessary background information: I was reading a paper about how an Electron is scattered by a dielectric hemisphere. The theoretical space was divided into 3 parts: 1. before the electron hits the hemisphere, 2. when the electron is within the hemisphere or passing right by the hemisphere, and 3. after the electron passes by the hemisphere. The paper presented the potential for 1, 2, and 3. I wanted to focus on part 1 for now, being the topic of the paragraphs above.)
Thank you for reading,

Z. Zheng

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That equation was: $$\varphi_1(\vec{r},\omega)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=-1}^{l}A_{lm}\frac{a}{r^{l+1}}P_m(\cos\theta)e^{im\varphi}$$

I think a single photon belongs to a different model, so you wouldn't represent it that way.

I was reading a paper about how an Electron is scattered by a dielectric hemisphere.
... citation please: important for context.
Sounds like you are reading around plasmons etc. There are equivalent papers for photons to the electron scattering ones.

Last edited:
Right, so the paper that I was referring to was called "Electron-energy losses in hemispherical targets":

http://dipc.ehu.es/aizpurua/publications/PRB54-2901.pdf

So I was not sure where to start in order to calculate the electrical potential of a Photon, traveling in empty space, being massless and charge-less.

Last edited:
Yep - a photon is the EM field - so you'd be pressed to figure how "the electric potential of a photon" makes sense. We also don't normally think of them as interacting with potentials either.

Off the paper - the potential is associated with the hemisphere rather than the electron, and w is the plasmon frequency. The paper is explicitly written in terms of classical dielectric theory - in this framework, light is an electromagnetic wave: the photon model is not applicable.

If you go to photons, then the electron is handled differently too and you need a QED-style approach.

Hello,

Thank you for your informative replies. Anyhow, I was just wondering if there is any possibility of approximating a photon with classical dielectric theories, and without quantum electrodynamic theories. My 'photon as scattered by hemisphere' project was suppose to be due April/13, hence has been very past due already. I think only an approximation of how the photon gets scattered by a (dielectric) hemisphere w'd be suffice. Could there already be a calculation of a photon as a dielectric function, similar to:

φ1(r⃗ ,ω)=∑l=0∞∑m=−1lAlmarl+1Pm(cosθ)eimφ

?

Hello,

Thank you the replies. Unfortunately, my 'photon as scattered by hemisphere' project was suppose to be due April/13. So I was wondering if there is any possibility of representing a photon as some classical dielectric function, without using quantum electrodynamic theories. Could a photon be represented in a way similar to:

$$\varphi_1(\vec{r},\omega)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=-1}^{l}A_{lm}\frac{a}{r^{l+1}}P_m(\cos\theta)e^{im\varphi}$$

(thank you for the Latex)

A photon is a QM object from the QM models.
The wave-optics is what happens to the photons on average.

A scattering experiment would normally be modeled by posing plane-wave states for the incoming beam - which may not be monochromatic, so you get a sum, maybe a continuous sum, of modes.

There are a lot of papers which parallel the one you cited, but using photons. You should go look.

What is the difference between an electron and a photon in terms of electrical potential?

An electron is a negatively charged subatomic particle found in atoms, while a photon is a unit of electromagnetic radiation. The main difference between the two is that electrons have a rest mass and can carry an electric charge, while photons have no rest mass and do not carry an electric charge.

Can electrons and photons both have electrical potential?

Yes, both electrons and photons can have electrical potential. Electrical potential is a measure of the energy that an electric charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. Since both electrons and photons are electrically charged, they can have electrical potential.

Which has a higher electrical potential, an electron or a photon?

Electrons generally have a higher electrical potential than photons. This is because electrons have a rest mass, which means they have a higher energy and can carry a greater electric charge compared to photons, which have no rest mass.

How do electrons and photons interact with each other in terms of electrical potential?

Electrons and photons interact through the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. Electrons can absorb or emit photons, which can change their electrical potential. Similarly, photons can interact with electrons in material objects, causing them to move and creating an electric current.

Can the electrical potential of electrons and photons be harnessed for practical uses?

Yes, the electrical potential of electrons and photons can be harnessed for a variety of practical uses. For example, electrons can be used to generate electricity in power plants, while photons can be used in technologies such as solar panels and lasers. Both electrons and photons play crucial roles in modern technology and are essential for many scientific advancements.