What's Next for this Newly Minted Physics Student?

In summary, Just wanted to share with all of you...I completed matura today. I've been studing for three days non-stop. Now it is all over. I'm finally no longer a high school student, but (practically) an undergraduate physics student. No more learning about croatian writers and stuff like that. From now it's only physics, physics, physics and math. I also wanted to say that I really enjoyed my experience here on PF and that I am looking foward to participating more now that I'm free. It's only physics and math? Here in the US no matter what your major is you still have to take a ton of BS "Core
Berislav
Just wanted to share with all of you...
I completed matura today. :biggrin:
I've been studing for three days non-stop. Now it is all over. I'm finally no longer a high school student, but (practically) an undergraduate physics student. No more learning about croatian writers and stuff like that. From now it's only physics, physics, physics and physics, and math.

I also wanted to say that I really enjoyed my experience here on PF and that I am looking foward to participating more now that I'm free. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's only physics and math? Here in the US no matter what your major is you still have to take a ton of BS "Core" classes. At most universities here I should say, I am, of course, unsure if this applies to every school there is.

Either way though, congrats on the graduation!

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but as much as I like physics and math, I think the "BS 'Core' classes" are important aswell. If they really were so inessential, why would they even be being taught?

But congrats on graduating.. I did about a month ago.

Some of the BS classes are good and useful. Personally I think English is a very important subject to learn, and it is part of the core classes here. What I mean is, as a Math Education Major one is required to take 2 semesters of US History, 1 semester of Western Civ, and 1 semester of another History Class. Maybe I am missing something, but how would knowing the information taught in these classes be used toward teaching Math? I tried to find the applications while I was taking the classes, but just could not see them, please enlighten me.

I think you went into the class with the wrong perspective. To be important doesn't mean it has to be related to "teaching mathematics." Don't you want to know how things came to be? To know who did what and what happened?

It's all about this mentality of being "well rounded". Personally, I think you should be able to take whatever freakin classes you want, it's your money. If you have a degree in Mathematics, why would one assume you know American History? College is getting so messed up.

I guess that is where we differ. Personally I do not care for history. Yes it is interesting to know, but I would be just as happy not knowing it, probably even happier having not wasted the time and money on the classes.

Thank you for your congratulations!

It's only physics and math? Here in the US no matter what your major is you still have to take a ton of BS "Core" classes. At most universities here I should say, I am, of course, unsure if this applies to every school there is.

Yes. Here in Croatia we don't apply to universities, per se, we apply to faculty departments. They determine your curriculum, so I probably won't even be seeing a professor of something other than physics or mathematics during my studies, except maybe those of interdiscplinary fields (e.g, biophysics).

Congratulations! Have you already declared your major in physics?

Congratulations! Have you already declared your major in physics?

Thanks!
Technically, I'm not a student yet. But, I've been waived the enterance exam and will start studing in October. It is implied that my major is physics since I applied to the physics department.

1. What does "No more high school for me" mean?

"No more high school for me" means that the person has completed their high school education and will not be attending high school anymore.

2. Why is it important to finish high school?

Finishing high school is important because it is the minimum level of education required for most jobs and higher education opportunities. It also provides essential skills and knowledge for personal and professional development.

3. What are the benefits of completing high school?

Completing high school opens up many opportunities for individuals, such as higher paying jobs, better career prospects, and the ability to pursue higher education. It also helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

4. Can I still be successful without finishing high school?

While it is possible to be successful without finishing high school, it is much more challenging. Without a high school diploma, individuals may have limited job opportunities and may struggle to further their education.

5. What options are available after completing high school?

After completing high school, individuals have a variety of options, including entering the workforce, pursuing higher education in a college or university, or joining a vocational or trade school. They can also take a gap year to travel, volunteer, or gain work experience before deciding on their next steps.