Need Confimation on Answer Process for Wheelbarrow Physics Question

In summary: I understand, sort of...where does the sin 60 come in? Where are you getting "60" from?The equation for static equilibrium is:\tau = 0There are two torques acting here, and they are equal and opposite:M_{load}\vec g \times \vec{d_{load}} = \vec F_{hand}\times \vec{d_{hand}}where M_{load} = 100 kg.; d_{load} = .5 m and d_{hand} = 1.5 mSo:M_{load}gd_{load}sin(60)/d_{hand} = F_{hand}F_{
ruzoo
The questions is:
A wheelbarrow is used to carry a load of 100Kg. The load's centre of mass lies 1/3 of the way between the axis and the point where the handles are held (the distance between the axis and the handles is 1.5m), how much effort will be required to lift the load and hold it at an angle of 30 degrees from the ground?
This is what I did :
Used the equation of static equilibrium, where E = sigma, sum of
ETk = 0
ETk = (Fm sin 30)(df) - (wt)(dwt)
0 = (Fm sin30)(0.5m) - (980 N)(1.5m)
0 = Fmsin30 - 1470Nm
Fm = 5880 N
Is the method I took correct? Just looking for some insight...
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ruzoo said:
The questions is:
A wheelbarrow is used to carry a load of 100Kg. The load's centre of mass lies 1/3 of the way between the axis and the point where the handles are held (the distance between the axis and the handles is 1.5m), how much effort will be required to lift the load and hold it at an angle of 30 degrees from the ground?
This is what I did :
Used the equation of static equilibrium, where E = sigma, sum of
ETk = 0
ETk = (Fm sin 30)(df) - (wt)(dwt)
0 = (Fm sin30)(0.5m) - (980 N)(1.5m)
0 = Fmsin30 - 1470Nm
Fm = 5880 N
Is the method I took correct?
No.
The equation for static equilibrium is:

[tex]\tau = 0[/tex]

There are two torques acting here, and they are equal and opposite:

[tex]M_{load}\vec g \times \vec{d_{load}} = \vec F_{hand}\times \vec{d_{hand}}[/tex]

where [itex]M_{load} = [/itex] 100 kg.; [itex]d_{load} = .5 m[/itex] and [itex] d_{hand} = 1.5 m[/itex]

So:
[tex]M_{load}gd_{load}sin(60)/d_{hand} = F_{hand}[/tex]

[tex]F_{hand} = 100 * 9.80 * .5 *.87 /1.5 = 284 N.[/tex]

This assumes that the force on the handles is always applied at right angles to the handles.

AM

Last edited:
I understand, sort of...where does the sin 60 come in? Where are you getting "60" from?

ruzoo said:
I understand, sort of...where does the sin 60 come in? Where are you getting "60" from?
It is the cross-product:

[tex]M_{load}\vec g \times \vec d_{load} = M_{load}gd\sin(\theta)[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle of the force from the perpendicular to the line between the fulcrum and the point of application of the force. That angle is 60 degrees if the wheelbarrow is lifted 30 degrees from the horizontal.

AM

1. How does the weight of the wheelbarrow affect its tipping point?

The weight of the wheelbarrow does not directly affect its tipping point. The tipping point is determined by the distribution of weight on the wheelbarrow and the location of the fulcrum (fulcrum being the wheel axle in this case). Adding weight to the wheelbarrow will shift the center of mass, but it is the positioning of the weight that ultimately affects the tipping point.

2. Does the length of the handles impact the force required to lift a wheelbarrow?

Yes, the length of the handles does have an impact on the force required to lift a wheelbarrow. The longer the handles, the easier it is to lift the wheelbarrow because the weight is distributed over a greater distance. This reduces the effort needed to lift the wheelbarrow.

3. How does the angle of the handles affect the force needed to lift a wheelbarrow?

The angle of the handles does not have a direct effect on the force needed to lift a wheelbarrow. However, the angle can impact the distribution of weight on the wheelbarrow, which can affect the tipping point. Generally, a shallower angle will distribute the weight more evenly, making it easier to lift.

4. Can the size of the wheel impact the ease of use for a wheelbarrow?

Yes, the size of the wheel can impact the ease of use for a wheelbarrow. A larger wheel will have a greater surface area in contact with the ground, making it easier to push or pull. It also allows for smoother movement over uneven surfaces.

5. Does the load in a wheelbarrow affect the force required to lift it?

Yes, the load in a wheelbarrow does affect the force required to lift it. The heavier the load, the more force is needed to lift it. This is because the weight of the load is added to the weight of the wheelbarrow, increasing the overall weight being lifted.