Mittag-Leffler and weierstrass theorem

• Thread starter jian1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, in order to find a function with all the desired poles and zeros, one must first find a function with the desired poles and zeros, then divide by a function with the desired zeros.
jian1

Homework Statement

Let G be a region and let {a_n} and {b_m} be two sequences of distinct points in G such that a_n != b_m for all n,m. Let S_n(z) be a singular part at a_n and let p_m be a positive integer. Show that there is a meromorphic function f on G whose only poles and zeros are {a_n} and {b_m} respectively, the singular part at z=a_n is S_n(z) and z=b_m is a zero of multiplicity p_m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that one can construct a function by Mittag-Leffler Theorem to have all these poles and singular parts, and I also know that by Weierstrass theorem, constructing a function with zeros is no problemo. The question is how do you construct a function with all the singular parts, poles and zeros?

My attempts don't work well despite the poles and zeros are preserved, the singular parts are not.

Physics news on Phys.org
jian1 said:
My attempts don't work well despite the poles and zeros are preserved, the singular parts are not.

I'm not sure, but I have an idea. But first, how did you find a function with the desired poles and zeros (just not necessarily the desired singular parts)?

Billy Bob said:
I'm not sure, but I have an idea. But first, how did you find a function with the desired poles and zeros (just not necessarily the desired singular parts)?

say you have a function f(z) with all the desired poles, and another function g(z) with desired zeros, since both poles are zeros are distinct, a function f(z)g(z) will be a meromorphic function with both desired poles and zeros.

Now the problem is that singular part(s) in f(z) is no longer preserved in the new function f(z)g(z). and I tried various ways, but neither works.

jian1 said:
say you have a function f(z) with all the desired poles, and another function g(z) with desired zeros, since both poles are zeros are distinct, a function f(z)g(z) will be a meromorphic function with both desired poles and zeros.

Now the problem is that singular part(s) in f(z) is no longer preserved in the new function f(z)g(z). and I tried various ways, but neither works.

Good first attempt. Now one other problem is that f(z) may have zeros, so also divide by h(z) which has the same zeros as f(z), with the correct multiplicity.

So f(z)g(z)/h(z) is almost right. You also want g(z)/h(z) to be = 1 at the poles of f(z). Maybe construct f first, then h, then g.

Now look at an example pole z=a with desired singular part S(z). Near z=a you have f(z) = S(z) + analytic fcn, i.e. f(z)-S(z)=analytic at z=a. You want f(z)g(z)/h(z) - S(z) to be analytic at z=a. Experiment around with those hints. I think there is a further condition on the way you choose g(z) to make that happen, but I don't want to completely give it away without you trying. You might come up with a better way, anyway.

What is Mittag-Leffler theorem?

Mittag-Leffler theorem is a mathematical theorem that deals with the existence and uniqueness of meromorphic functions. It states that if a function has a finite number of isolated singularities, then it can be represented as a series of simple fractions with certain coefficients.

What is Weierstrass theorem?

Weierstrass theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that every continuous function defined on a closed interval can be uniformly approximated by a polynomial function. It is a fundamental theorem in the field of mathematical analysis.

What is the difference between Mittag-Leffler and Weierstrass theorem?

The main difference between Mittag-Leffler and Weierstrass theorem is that Mittag-Leffler theorem deals with meromorphic functions while Weierstrass theorem deals with continuous functions. Additionally, Mittag-Leffler theorem deals with approximation by simple fractions while Weierstrass theorem deals with approximation by polynomials.

How are Mittag-Leffler and Weierstrass theorem used in mathematics?

Mittag-Leffler and Weierstrass theorem are used in various areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, mathematical analysis, and algebraic geometry. They provide important tools for proving the existence and uniqueness of mathematical objects and for approximating functions.

Are there any real-world applications of Mittag-Leffler and Weierstrass theorem?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of Mittag-Leffler and Weierstrass theorem, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. For example, they are used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. They also have applications in computer graphics and numerical analysis.