First order DE, using integrating factor

In summary, the conversation discusses using the integrating factor technique to solve a problem involving the equations dy/dt + 10y = 1 and y(1/10) = 2/10. The expert explains that the independent variable is t and the point of the integrating factor is to turn the lefthand side into a derivative. They also solve for y and explain how to find the value of C.
James889
Hi,

I tried to solve this by using the integrating factor technique
[tex]\begin{cases}
dy/dt +10y = 1 \\
y(1/10) = 2/10
\end{cases}[/tex]

So [tex]p(x) = 10t \rightarrow e^{10t}[/tex]

[tex]e^{10t} \cdot \frac{dy}{dt} + e^{10t} \cdot 10y = e^{10t}[/tex]

This part is confusing to me, i have two different variables y and t.

How do i integrate the left side?

Physics news on Phys.org
James889 said:
[tex]e^{10t} \cdot \frac{dy}{dt} + e^{10t} \cdot 10y = e^{10t}[/tex]

This part is confusing to me, i have two different variables y and t.
The independent variable in this problem is t. It's playing the role x would usually play.

How do i integrate the left side?
The point of the integrating factor is to turn the lefthand side into a derivative. In your case, you have

[tex]e^{10t} \cdot \frac{dy}{dt} + e^{10t} \cdot 10y = (e^{10t} y)'[/tex]

You can differentiate [itex]e^{10t} y[/itex] to verify that's the case. So integrating the lefthand side is trivial because you're just integrating a derivative.

Ok,

So after integrating both sides, i have
[tex]e^{10t}\cdot y = \frac{1}{10} e^{10t} +C[/tex]

After inserting applying the initial conditions i get:

[tex] e^{10t} \cdot \frac{1}{10} = \frac{1}{10} e^{10t} +C[/tex]

This gives that the e terms cancel and C = 2/10 but that's incorrect.

Hm, what am i missing here?

James889 said:
Ok,

So after integrating both sides, i have
[tex]e^{10t}\cdot y = \frac{1}{10} e^{10t} +C[/tex]
You can solve for y to get

[tex]y=\frac{1}{10}+C e^{-10t}[/tex]

After inserting applying the initial conditions i get:

[tex] e^{10t} \cdot \frac{1}{10} = \frac{1}{10} e^{10t} +C[/tex]

This gives that the e terms cancel and C = 2/10 but that's incorrect.

Hm, what am i missing here?
A few mistakes in what you did: you didn't substitute a value in for t, and you plugged in the wrong initial value for y. Also, you apparently did the algebra wrong because the exponentials can't cancel.

vela said:
You can solve for y to get

[tex]y=\frac{1}{10}+C e^{-10t}[/tex]

Hm, after plugging in the right value for y i get, like you.

[tex]e^1\cdot \frac{2}{10} = \frac{e^1}{10} + C[/tex] which clearly gives C = e/10

But how did you get [tex]e^{-10t}[/tex] ?

That must be from dividing by 2e^10 but why does the variable t reappear when you already plugged in 1/10 ?

Sorry for the ignorance, i suck.

I divided both sides of the equation by [itex]e^{10t}[/itex] to solve for y. All you have to do now is take the value of C you found and plug it back into the solution.

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its first derivative. It is written in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function y with respect to x and f(x,y) represents the given function.

2. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a first order differential equation in order to make it easier to solve. It is typically chosen to be a function of x or y, and its purpose is to make the equation into a form that can be solved using basic integration techniques.

3. How do you find an integrating factor for a first order differential equation?

To find an integrating factor, you first need to identify the function that is being multiplied to the derivative in the given equation. You then take the derivative of this function and divide it by the original function. This resulting quotient is the integrating factor.

4. Why is the integrating factor method used for solving first order differential equations?

The integrating factor method is used because it simplifies the process of solving first order differential equations. It allows us to convert a differential equation into a form that can be solved using basic integration techniques, making it easier to find a solution.

5. Can the integrating factor method be used for all first order differential equations?

Yes, the integrating factor method can be used for all first order differential equations. However, some equations may require more complex integration techniques, such as partial fractions, in order to find a solution.