Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #3,186
That does sound fun. Though, how did you get pictures while up there? I'd be afraid to take along a camera in case of a splash landing! Though, I'm not sure I'd want to do it while a storm was blowing up.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,187
Moonbear said:
That does sound fun. Though, how did you get pictures while up there? I'd be afraid to take along a camera in case of a splash landing! Though, I'm not sure I'd want to do it while a storm was blowing up.

I took my camera, which if you remember, is one of those compact, point-and-shoot camera. I had the strap around my wrist the whole time I was up there, for obvious reason.

Zz.

• #3,188
ZapperZ said:
I took my camera, which if you remember, is one of those compact, point-and-shoot camera. I had the strap around my wrist the whole time I was up there, for obvious reason.

Zz.

Since I've mentioned this already, here are the pictures I took while I was doing the parasailing at Bay Lake. The wind was really picking up due to the impending storm, causing me to get whipped around quite a bit while I was up there. So some of the pictures may not be as sharp as it could be since I was jostled around.

The boat crew.
IMG_5750.jpg

Leaving the marina at the Contemporary.
IMG_5753.jpg

I'm up!
IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

A view at the Contemporary Resort and a bit of Magic Kingdom in the background. Space Mountain certainly was prominent.
IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

My feet dangling several hundred feet above Bay Lake.
IMG_5776.jpg

Zz.

• #3,189
Sailing is always so amazing, when the wind is blowing on you and the water is so close...i sailed some years ago...you photos help me to remember this wonderful moments, thanks

• #3,190
Cute knees and toes, ZZ. :biggrin: Can I go with you next time? I would SO love to do that. Maybe when I go see my cousin in Hawaii (soon, I hope) I'll get to do it.

• #3,191
Tsu said:
Cute knees and toes, ZZ. :biggrin:

Thank you. Too bad I didn't shave my legs beforehand! :)

Can I go with you next time? I would SO love to do that. Maybe when I go see my cousin in Hawaii (soon, I hope) I'll get to do it.

Sure you can! You can go tandem with Ivan!

Zz.

• #3,192
Woohooooooo!

• #3,193
In case you haven't seen it, this is a very cool video of A Day at the Magic Kingdom.

It looks as if it is miniature model, but it really is real. It is just that it is more of a stop-motion video. That's what made it so amazing to look at.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,194
Hey, we have a lot of members from the United Kingdom on PF. Here's your chance to vote for your favorite town to be the twin city of Walt Disney World in Florida!

Zz.

• #3,195
First we found out that https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1084492&postcount=2492"!

Although Dirac was benign and receptive during these conversations, he was so reserved that Hofer often found himself trying to elicit a response from him – a nod or a shake of the head, a few words, anything to make the conversation less onesided. Just occasionally, Dirac would be moved to contribute a few words about one of his private enthusiasms – Chopin’s waltzes, Mickey Mouse and any television special featuring Cher, the brassy chanteuse.

:)

Zz.

• #3,196
With the creation of the 'Fun, Photos & Games' category, wouldn't this tread be more appropriate in that category?

• #3,197
This is Easter Donald Duck, produced by Hallmark. I bought this a couple of days ago, and I haven't stop laughing at it. It's hysterical! Even funnier, there's a tag attached to one of his bunny ears to NOT pick him up by the ears. But you should do it anyway! :)

So I took a quick video of it so that you can look at it. I think Disney missed a chance to sell this thing for themselves. It would have been a hit! :)

Xum2-QOyAfA[/youtube] Zz.

• #3,198
December was a cold month in South Jersey, so we saddled up and headed south. The plan was to keep going until it got warm. However, by the time we got to Ft. Lauderdale it was still in the 50s and it was in the 50s all the way to Key West, so we gave up. We stayed in Miami and slowly moved north. On Dec 30, we went to Epcot in Orlando.

I had heard that it was built as a model city of the future and a showcase of trends in cutting edge technology. With the parking fee, the entrance fee, and taxes, it came close to $300 for three people.

The first attraction we saw was the iconic golf ball building. The line to get in was long and the sign said there was a 45 minute waiting time. I thought that if we waited 45 minutes for every attraction we wouldn't see much. We by-passed that and went to an attraction called Innovention. There was practally no line there at all so I felt better about that. The most innovative thing I saw there was Velcro, not exactly a cutting edge technology any more. There was a cute game show based on Velcro. Also there was a game you could play that teaches you something about saving for the future. It was geared for children and didn't teach me anything I didn't already know and didn't exhibit any cutting edge technology. There was a computer survey you could fill out to indicated what problems face mankind, what causes the problems and how they should be solved. However it was multiple choice and my ideas were never any of the choices.

Next we went to an attraction about imagination. It seemed rather extravagant to dedicate an entire building to the message that in addition to the 5 senses, you should also use your imagination. It was geared for children.

Next we saw a short movie with the characters from The Lion King and concerning a plan to build a theme park called "Hakuna Matata Land". The message of the movie is that if you build a theme park, then you will be a polluter. This is a bizarre message considering where we were at the time.

By this time I was sure that I had just lit a match to $300. However things got better. Most of Epcot is a kind of World's Fair. There are about a dozen exhibits dedicated to various countries, Mexico, Norway, China, etc. Each of these has souvenir shops, restaurants, and a small museum-like display concerning that country. In addition, some of the countries have an attraction like a ride or a movie. There were lines, but the longest one lasted a half hour and some were less than 10 minutes. We spent most of our time here and found it quite pleasant. The food is Americanized and of course, overpriced.

By early evening we had seen all of the country exhibits and were about to leave. However, as we passed the golf ball building, the line was quite short and the sign said a 10 minute wait. So we went in. I expected to finally see the new technology part of the attraction but again was disappointed. Inside is a ride through some diaramas that represent how the ideas of people in the past have changed the world. The message is that our ideas too will change the world. However, at the end you just choose from a menu of other peoples' ideas. Then there were some computer games you could play. Of these there was one that used a 3-d display. It was a game to build a person up out of body parts. I suppose 3-d can still be considered cutting edge.

My impression: It is a pleasant way to spend a day, but it is way overhyped and way overpriced. The technology angle is scanty and geared for children.

• #3,199
Jimmy Snyder said:
December was a cold month in South Jersey, so we saddled up and headed south. The plan was to keep going until it got warm. However, by the time we got to Ft. Lauderdale it was still in the 50s and it was in the 50s all the way to Key West, so we gave up. We stayed in Miami and slowly moved north. On Dec 30, we went to Epcot in Orlando.

I had heard that it was built as a model city of the future and a showcase of trends in cutting edge technology. With the parking fee, the entrance fee, and taxes, it came close to $300 for three people.

Walt's original vision was exactly that. That vision was partly carried out with Futureworld, i.e. the front part of the theme park. However, at that time, no one was willing to support the entire vision, and Walt did not leave the detailed plan of his vision. Since there was a separate plan of another theme park that resembles a World's Fair, the company decided to marry the two concepts together, and that resulted in the present-day Epcot.

The first attraction we saw was the iconic golf ball building. The line to get in was long and the sign said there was a 45 minute waiting time. I thought that if we waited 45 minutes for every attraction we wouldn't see much.

In my own version of WDW travel guide, I strongly tell people to avoid most of the attraction that is you see first when you walk in. This includes Spaceship Earth. There is always a line there in the morning because most people see this as the first attraction. Don't do it. Wait till mid/late afternoon. The lines will be significantly shorter.

We by-passed that and went to an attraction called Innovention. There was practally no line there at all so I felt better about that. The most innovative thing I saw there was Velcro, not exactly a cutting edge technology any more. There was a cute game show based on Velcro. Also there was a game you could play that teaches you something about saving for the future. It was geared for children and didn't teach me anything I didn't already know and didn't exhibit any cutting edge technology. There was a computer survey you could fill out to indicated what problems face mankind, what causes the problems and how they should be solved. However it was multiple choice and my ideas were never any of the choices.

There are two Innoventions - Innoventions East, and Innoventions West. I strongly recommend visiting Innoventions East and do "Sum of all Thrills". You design your own ride and use physics principles of mechanics/energy conservation.

By this time I was sure that I had just lit a match to $300. However things got better. Most of Epcot is a kind of World's Fair. There are about a dozen exhibits dedicated to various countries, Mexico, Norway, China, etc. Each of these has souvenir shops, restaurants, and a small museum-like display concerning that country. In addition, some of the countries have an attraction like a ride or a movie. There were lines, but the longest one lasted a half hour and some were less than 10 minutes. We spent most of our time here and found it quite pleasant. The food is Americanized and of course, overpriced.

This is generally true. However, there are a few exceptions. One of them is the sit-down restaurant at Morocco called Marakesh. It's an amazing restaurant. Also, if you go to the bakery at Norway, there are several authentic (based on reviews given my a Norwegian friend) items there.

By early evening we had seen all of the country exhibits and were about to leave. However, as we passed the golf ball building, the line was quite short and the sign said a 10 minute wait. So we went in. I expected to finally see the new technology part of the attraction but again was disappointed. Inside is a ride through some diaramas that represent how the ideas of people in the past have changed the world. The message is that our ideas too will change the world. However, at the end you just choose from a menu of other peoples' ideas. Then there were some computer games you could play. Of these there was one that used a 3-d display. It was a game to build a person up out of body parts. I suppose 3-d can still be considered cutting edge.

My guess is that you missed the BEST part of the evening show at Epcot, which is Illuminations. That's too bad.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6710208895411670287&hl=en# [Broken]

Zz.

• #3,200
ZapperZ said:
My guess is that you missed the BEST part of the evening show at Epcot, which is Illuminations. That's too bad.
We left at about 6:30. Having arrived at 10:30 in the morning, we were pretty well jaded by that time. We discussed staying for the Illuminations, but decided against it. I'm usually asleep by 9:00 and the show doesn't start till 9:30.

• #3,201
Jimmy -
Now you know better. NEVER visit a Disney attraction without talking to Zz first... :biggrin:

• #3,202
Tsu said:
Jimmy -
Now you know better. NEVER visit a Disney attraction without talking to Zz first... :biggrin:
I'm pretty much resolved to take this advice.

• #3,203
In the meantime, for people who missed this the first time around, this is my own version of things one should/must not miss at WDW, including a few tips and hints.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=df5w5j9q_2ch3cbn

It is such a huge place with so many things to do. I seriously do not recommend going there (especially for first-timers and people who don't know it that well) without any kind of knowledge or some planning.

Zz.

• #3,204
I mentioned earlier about the "Sum of All Thrills" at Innoventions East at Epcot. This is something that I highly recommend people to do. It at least tries to incorporate basic mechanics into the design of your ride, so one would hope that while having fun, people will actually learn something, even something minuscule.

This is what you see when you approach the attraction.

img7596.jpg

img7614.jpg

You go into a briefing room where they tell you something about how to design your ride. You can choose from 3 different types of rides - a bobsled (tamest), a roller coaster, and a jet fighter (most challenging). Even within each ride, you design how the ride goes (i.e adding loops, spirals, drops, etc... The bobsled option does not give you any ride segment that makes you go upside down). So you get to design how tame or how exciting your ride will be, but with the use of basic mechanics such as conservation of energy.

Each ride can take 2 people, and both of you share one ride card, which they give as you enter the briefing room.
img7606c.jpg

After the briefing, you walk into the ride design area where you go to a large screen that you've been assigned to, stick your card in, and off you go. It gives you a screen of your initial condition, i.e. how high are you going to start from your first drop and how much potential energy you are starting with. That will dictate how fast you can go around corners and how high you can design other ride components that you wish to add along the way. All of the information is stored on the card.

After you have finished with the ride design, you take the card out and then walk over to the ride loading area. This is what your ride vehicle looks like. It consists of 2 seats at the end of a long, robotic arm.
img7618g.jpg

The hood over the seats drops over you after you are seated and completely covers your upper torso. Note that if you suffer from claustrophobia, this may be a problem for you because initially, it does feel a bit confined. Still, what you see in front of you is a screen of what you will be facing in your ride, and at a lower corner of the screen, you get to see a live video of your partner sitting next to you (and he/she can see you as well). So in this case, it might not be as bad.

After the loading platform moves back, you are off on your designed ride.
img8305k.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3844/img8304t.jpg [Broken]

[URL]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6766/img8303x.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9938/img7617i.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2478/img7599tp.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4827/img7598y.jpg[/URL]

The ride simulation feels pretty accurate. The upside-down loops truly feels as if you are going upside down. There is also not much in terms of motion-sickness, so the coordination between what you see on the screen and what the arm is doing is quite accurate.

This is one of those attraction that consciously tries to inject basic mechanics with some fun. So in that sense, it is worth doing. You also get to keep the card and log into the Raytheon webpage (they're the sponsor) to play their online game, etc., and learn more about mechanics. So the education/fun aspect continues even after you get home.

Zz.

• #3,205
Once in a while, science and Disney intersect, such as in this case. Bill Nye, the Science Guy, made a presentation at Epcot's Innoventions.

0LWBKrZ-Kn4[/youtube] Zz.

• #3,206
Thanks for this thread. I am planning a trip to Walt Disney World, this is what I need to start. Disney World is a great place, but it can also be overwhelming trying to decide where to stay, what to see, or even what I can afford.:biggrin:

• #3,208
Happy Halloween!

If you don't know where "This is Halloween" came from for our photo contest last week, here is a video of an over-the-top Halloween display that used this tune from the soundtrack to Disney's "Nightmare Before Christmas".

Zz.

• #3,209
The amazing Jackie Evancho crosses paths with Disney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y84J06lY4s

Disney Christmas Parade 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJkuQfS8JNg

• #3,210
Ivan Seeking said:
The amazing Jackie Evancho crosses paths with Disney

Jackie who? :)

I must plead ignorance on her. Even after doing a Google search, it still doesn't ring a bell. But then again, I hardly ever watch Network TV.

Zz.

• #3,211
ZapperZ said:
Jackie who? :)

I must plead ignorance on her. Even after doing a Google search, it still doesn't ring a bell. But then again, I hardly ever watch Network TV.

Zz.

You haven't had much time to hear about her as she's only eleven years old and was discovered at age ten! She is widely expected to become the premier lady of opera. In fact she has already performed a brief duet with Sarah Brightman [and possibly bested Brightman on stage].

She is the youngest person ever to be invited to peform at the Lincoln Center, which she did just recently. She also has a concert that will be appearing on PBS's Great Performances, next March - again, the youngest person ever to be featured.

She just released a new CD called Dream with Me.
http://www.target.com/p/Dream-with-...3487892&CPNG=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13487892

It's no surprise that Disney snagged her very quickly.

• #3,213
How not to wear a Disney sweater.

sweatert.jpg

Poor Mickey!

Zz.

• #3,214
ZapperZ said:

Poor Mickey!

Zz.

Oh my :rofl:!

• #3,215
ZapperZ said:

That's got to be photoshopped. Either that or Mickey passed out on a park bench by the Pirates of the Carribean ride, and this lady accidently sat on him.

Last edited:
  • #3,216
I want to go there just to see if it's true. :biggrin:

tumblr_mka7keFs1U1qewacoo1_500.jpg

• #3,217
Borg said:
I want to go there just to see if it's true. :biggrin:

Supposedly, this works elsewhere also, not just at Disneyland.

Zz.

• #3,218
I have taken many photos of Cinderella Castle (well, duh!) under numerous lighting conditions. But the one that I took recently became one of my all-time favorite. It is a lighting on the castle that one doesn't get to see very often.

img7612j.jpg

And yes, I am still using my cheap Canon Digital Elph point-and-shoot camera.

Zz.

• #3,219
I was just at DisneyLand this last Sunday. It was my first time going there, and I remember going to DisneyWorld when I was much younger. Which of the two would you say is the best?

EDIT: By the way, great photo :approve:

• #3,220
ZapperZ said:
I have taken many photos of Cinderella Castle (well, duh!) under numerous lighting conditions. But the one that I took recently became one of my all-time favorite. It is a lighting on the castle that one doesn't get to see very often.

img7612j.jpg

And yes, I am still using my cheap Canon Digital Elph point-and-shoot camera.

Zz.
Wow, that's spooky! Love it, I never would have imagined the castle that way.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the Disney World PF Gathering?</h2><p>The Disney World PF Gathering is an annual event where fans of Disney and its theme parks come together to share their love for all things Disney. It is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, make new friends, and enjoy the magic of Disney World.</p><h2>2. When and where does the Disney World PF Gathering take place?</h2><p>The Disney World PF Gathering usually takes place in the summer months, typically in July or August. The exact dates and location may vary from year to year, so it is best to stay updated through the official Disney World PF Gathering website or social media pages.</p><h2>3. How can I attend the Disney World PF Gathering?</h2><p>To attend the Disney World PF Gathering, you will need to purchase a ticket through the official website. Tickets usually go on sale a few months before the event and can sell out quickly, so it is important to plan ahead and secure your ticket early.</p><h2>4. What can I expect at the Disney World PF Gathering?</h2><p>The Disney World PF Gathering is a fun-filled event with a variety of activities such as panel discussions, meet and greets with Disney celebrities, workshops, and group outings to the theme parks. There will also be opportunities to purchase exclusive merchandise and participate in special events and contests.</p><h2>5. Do you have any tips for first-time attendees of the Disney World PF Gathering?</h2><p>Yes, here are a few tips to make the most out of your experience at the Disney World PF Gathering: 1) Plan ahead and purchase your ticket early, 2) Follow the official social media pages for updates and announcements, 3) Bring comfortable shoes for walking around the theme parks, 4) Don't be afraid to strike up conversations with other attendees, and 5) Have fun and embrace the Disney magic!</p>

1. What is the purpose of the Disney World PF Gathering?

The Disney World PF Gathering is an annual event where fans of Disney and its theme parks come together to share their love for all things Disney. It is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, make new friends, and enjoy the magic of Disney World.

2. When and where does the Disney World PF Gathering take place?

The Disney World PF Gathering usually takes place in the summer months, typically in July or August. The exact dates and location may vary from year to year, so it is best to stay updated through the official Disney World PF Gathering website or social media pages.

3. How can I attend the Disney World PF Gathering?

To attend the Disney World PF Gathering, you will need to purchase a ticket through the official website. Tickets usually go on sale a few months before the event and can sell out quickly, so it is important to plan ahead and secure your ticket early.

4. What can I expect at the Disney World PF Gathering?

The Disney World PF Gathering is a fun-filled event with a variety of activities such as panel discussions, meet and greets with Disney celebrities, workshops, and group outings to the theme parks. There will also be opportunities to purchase exclusive merchandise and participate in special events and contests.

5. Do you have any tips for first-time attendees of the Disney World PF Gathering?

Yes, here are a few tips to make the most out of your experience at the Disney World PF Gathering: 1) Plan ahead and purchase your ticket early, 2) Follow the official social media pages for updates and announcements, 3) Bring comfortable shoes for walking around the theme parks, 4) Don't be afraid to strike up conversations with other attendees, and 5) Have fun and embrace the Disney magic!