All spaces that have the cofinite topology are sequentially compact

In summary, the cofinite topology defines all the open sets as subsets of X whose complement is finite, which allows for the definition of sequentially compact sets. A sequence in X is a function from \mathbb{N} to X, and it can have infinitely many terms regardless of the cardinality of X. If X is a finite set, the range of a sequence is finite, but if X is infinite, the range of a sequence can be finite or infinite.
demonelite123
i want to show that given any space X with the cofinite topology, the space X is sequentially compact.

i have already shown that any space X with the cofinite topology is compact since any open cover has a finite subcover on X. i know that if we are dealing with metric spaces, then the notions of compactness and sequentially compactness are equivalent but in general topological spaces it is not true.

so the cofinite topology defines all the open sets as subsets of X whose complement is finite. and a sequentially compact set is a set which has the property that all sequences in the set have a convergent subsequence in the set.

these are the definitions i have but i am not sure how to use them together to show that the set X is sequentially compact. can someone give me some pointers in the right direction? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about whether the sequence takes only finitely many or infinitely many distinct values.

Also, remember that a sequence can converge to more than one point in sufficiently bad topological spaces.

doesn't that depend on whether X is finite or infinite? if X is finite then the sequence will just be finitely many terms and I'm not sure how to talk about convergence in that case but if X is infinite then a sequence will have infinitely many terms right?

demonelite123 said:
doesn't that depend on whether X is finite or infinite? if X is finite then the sequence will just be finitely many terms and I'm not sure how to talk about convergence in that case but if X is infinite then a sequence will have infinitely many terms right?

A sequence in [tex]X[/tex] is a function [tex]n \mapsto x_n[/tex] from [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] to [tex]X[/tex]; it has infinitely many terms regardless of the cardinality of [tex]X[/tex]. The range or image of the sequence is the set [tex]\{x_n \mid n\in\mathbb{N}\}[/tex] of values taken by the sequence; it is a subset of [tex]X[/tex].

If [tex]X[/tex] is a finite set, then the range (set of values) of any sequence in [tex]X[/tex] must be finite, but if [tex]X[/tex] is infinite, the range of a sequence in [tex]X[/tex] can be finite or infinite. An example of a sequence in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] with infinite range is [tex](x_n)[/tex] where [tex]x_n = n[/tex]; an example with finite range is [tex](y_n)[/tex] where [tex]y_n = (-1)^n[/tex].

My hint above was meant to tell you that you should try to construct your convergent subsequence differently depending on whether the range of your sequence is finite or infinite.

so if a sequence in X has a finite range, does it have to be in one of the closed sets? if it is then i can take away finitely many terms so that the subsequence will converge. if the sequence has an infinite range then would it be contained in one of the open sets? based on that i don't know if it has a convergent subsequence. I'm still unsure on how to continue. is there still something i may be missing?

in order to talk about the convergence of a sequence don't you need a metric space? or at least the only definition of convergence of sequences that i know uses a distance in its definition. if I'm trying to prove this fact for all topological spaces in general how would i go about this?

1. What is the cofinite topology?

The cofinite topology is a mathematical concept used in topology, which is the study of the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous transformations. It is defined as a topology in which the open sets are those that contain all but a finite number of points in a given space.

2. What does it mean for a space to be sequentially compact?

A space is said to be sequentially compact if every sequence in the space has a convergent subsequence. In simpler terms, this means that every sequence in the space has a point that it "converges" to, or gets closer and closer to, as the sequence progresses.

3. How do you prove that all spaces with the cofinite topology are sequentially compact?

To prove that all spaces with the cofinite topology are sequentially compact, you can use the definition of sequential compactness and show that every sequence in the space has a convergent subsequence. This can be done by constructing a convergent subsequence for any given sequence in the space.

4. What are the implications of a space being both sequentially compact and having the cofinite topology?

If a space is both sequentially compact and has the cofinite topology, it means that every sequence in the space has a convergent subsequence, and the open sets in the space are defined by containing all but a finite number of points. This has implications in areas such as analysis and topology, and can be used to prove various theorems and properties of these spaces.

5. Are all spaces with the cofinite topology sequentially compact?

Yes, all spaces with the cofinite topology are sequentially compact. This is due to the fact that the definition of sequential compactness is satisfied by the cofinite topology, meaning that every sequence in the space has a convergent subsequence. Therefore, any space with the cofinite topology can be considered sequentially compact.