Pity the poor conductor of this train

In summary, the conversation revolves around a train station named Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantsiliogogogoch and its difficult pronunciation. The passenger mentions hearing it spoken and the conductor jokes about the Welsh and Germans competing for the longest words. The passenger shares a link to hear the word spoken and jokes about his attempt to pronounce it.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
...having to call out the name of this station.

DSC4529-XL.jpg

DSC4564-XL.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Conductor: "Now arriving at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantsiliogogogoch"

Passenger: "Gesundheit"

I've been there. And I've heard it spoken several times.

It's that bad with a little practice.

The Welsh and the Germans should get together to see who can make the longest words. I was in grade school when I first saw that sign. They still haven't shortened it. I doubt if the Germans can match it.

EDIT: On the other hand: Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsesetz. (For some reason, a space is being inserted, but it is one word.)

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I've been there. And I've heard it spoken several times.

It's that bad with a little practice.
Yes, it's that bad.
http://www.forumwales.com/resources-audio.htm"
Near the bottom of the page is a button to click to hear it spoken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:

And I was so close...

I was making good progress dissecting the word until I got to the 4 consecutive L's..

Jimmy Snyder said:
Yes, it's that bad.
Near the bottom of the page is a button to click to hear it spoken.
Silly wabbits.

That's easy, I could read it faster.

Chaubunagungamaug_lake_sign.jpg

1. What does the phrase "Pity the poor conductor of this train" mean?

The phrase "Pity the poor conductor of this train" is a metaphor used to express sympathy for someone who is in a difficult or challenging situation. In this context, it refers to the conductor of a train who is responsible for the safety and well-being of all the passengers on board.

2. Why is the conductor of a train often referred to as "poor"?

The word "poor" in this phrase does not necessarily refer to the conductor's financial status. Instead, it highlights the immense responsibility and pressure that comes with being a conductor, as they are responsible for the smooth operation and safety of the train and its passengers.

3. What are some challenges that a conductor of a train may face?

A conductor of a train may face a variety of challenges, such as managing and coordinating the train's schedule, dealing with unexpected delays or emergencies, ensuring the safety of passengers, and communicating effectively with the train's crew and passengers.

4. What qualities are important for a conductor to have?

A good conductor should possess strong leadership skills, excellent communication and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to remain calm under pressure. They should also have a thorough understanding of train operations, safety protocols, and emergency procedures.

5. How do conductors ensure the safety of passengers on a train?

Conductors play a crucial role in ensuring the safety of passengers on a train. They are responsible for monitoring the train's speed, making sure all doors are closed before departure, and ensuring that passengers follow safety protocols, such as wearing seatbelts. In case of emergencies, they are trained to handle and communicate effectively with passengers and coordinate with other train crew members and emergency services.