Project: Using 100% of an Atoms energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of using atoms as a source of energy and the challenges that come with harnessing this energy. The speaker asks questions about how to convert atoms into energy, build a reactor in space, and effectively use the energy. Despite difficulties and limited resources, the speaker is determined to continue their research and make this idea a reality.
16 years old
I AM TRYING TO PROGRESS IN THIS PROJECT AND ONLY SEE ONE DIRECTION PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR THEORY OF THIS PLEASE INCLUDE IT!

Edit: personal information deleted

I’m a sophomore at High school in Arizona.

Although I’m most likely not as smart as most people on this forum, I’m trying to discover something that may change our world forever.
My idea hails from the Atom, and exactly how much power one atom consists compared to how much of it we are actually using.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, if we were to convert 100% of the matter in a tree into energy could we power the entire world for over 10 years( referring to the formula (Energy = Mass x [186,000 miles/ second])?
Now if you were to split an atom in the middle of a set amount of atoms, and surround it with EM radiation would it cancel out the radiation released from the atoms that were reacting with the one atom that was split, leaving the energy released contained until the amount of energy released is gone? (Suggesting that the string of radiation cancel each other out)
Iron for an example say it was put into an object like an iron ball, and put it in the middle of Uranium radiation and then split an atom in the iron ball, could that keep all of the energy in atoms of the ball contained in the medium between the Uranium radiation and the atomic radiation of the ball?
Now if we tried to use that energy to run a car, the car would run for almost an unlimited amount of time because of the extremely large amount of energy given off, but0 something like that is only a question that is to be solved from what has already been discovered.
Um all of this information comes from research that I have done, please correct me if I’m wrong I’m planning on making this a learning experience and I’m hoping that this project will prevail.
Please remember I am only 16 years old, I’m just simply trying to expand my knowledge so I would appreciate only positive input as I’m trying my best to be successful in my lifetime.
P.S. I am going to be adding notes frequently.

NOTES:
What if this process was used but instead surrounding water with uranium and EM radiation, and using the Nuclear Fusion process to make water into fuel(this is basically just makes sure that the energy coming out of the water molecules is used at its 100% capacity).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, IF we could use 100% of an Atoms energy, then we have nearly limitless power!

The problem is, that we can't harness that energy. We have no way of getting it out of the atom.

We can't even get fusion to work out.

micromass said:
Yes, IF we could use 100% of an Atoms energy, then we have nearly limitless power!

The problem is, that we can't harness that energy. We have no way of getting it out of the atom.

We can't even get fusion to work out.

True, but say we gave this test a very large scale to perform it on like in space, we could try to expand the energy and cancle it out with another type of radiation, that would stop the energy from moving leaving it isolated which would only leave one question to be awnser how would we make that energy availible to us as it is in space and not on earth, well i believe if i continue this research than it will be discovered. :)

16 years old said:
True, but say we gave this test a very large scale to perform it on like in space, we could try to expand the energy and cancle it out with another type of radiation, that would stop the energy from moving leaving it isolated which would only leave one question to be awnser how would we make that energy availible to us as it is in space and not on earth, well i believe if i continue this research than it will be discovered. :)

OK:

1) how will you transform atoms into energy??
2) how will you build a giant reactor in space??
3) How will you harness the energy and put it to use??

micromass said:
OK:

1) how will you transform atoms into energy??
2) how will you build a giant reactor in space??
3) How will you harness the energy and put it to use??

1) By splitting the atom and releasing all of its energy.
2) I have limited resources but if my theory proves correct, i will have many supporters that will help me to build it.
3) Using multiple layers of energy and objects to keep the energy from flowing putting it to use though just lies in my research

16 years old said:
1) By splitting the atom and releasing all of its energy.

That won't free 100% of the atoms energy! Not even close.

2) I have limited resources but if my theory proves correct, i will have many supporters that will help me to build it.

Having many supporters won't help. You have many difficulties to conquer!

3) Using multiple layers of energy and objects to keep the energy from flowing putting it to use though just lies in my research

Assume that you could prevent energy from flowing away. How will you use the energy?? Having energy is nothing: the sun has energy enough! But how to use it?

INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
67 50 88 44

micromass said:
That won't free 100% of the atoms energy! Not even close.

Having many supporters won't help. You have many difficulties to conquer!

Very true, but if an atom is split, and the energy flows from it what will happen to the atom? will it remain split and continue to let out energy until it has none left?

And yes but i will work for years if i have to on this project to get rid of thoes many difficulties.

micromass said:
Assume that you could prevent energy from flowing away. How will you use the energy?? Having energy is nothing: the sun has energy enough! But how to use it?

would it work if i could cause a chain reaction between the energy and the motherboard using metal wires?

16 years old said:
Very true, but if an atom is split, and the energy flows from it what will happen to the atom? will it remain split and continue to let out energy until it has none left?

It doesn't work this way. I suggest you read up on your physics and chemistry.

would it work if i could cause a chain reaction between the energy and the motherboard using metal wires?

I have no idea what you're talking about here...

16 years old said:

And yes but i will work for years if i have to on this project to get rid of thoes many difficulties.

It's nice that you have an interest in physics, but your understanding is way way off. Hit the books and learn how physics actually works, then you'll find out why what you said makes 0 sense.

Last edited:
Ok, I will ha just figured out the awnser to my question as you posted this.. I am learning at a fast paste.. But please awnser just a few questions for me? Just need it for future research.

1) What happens when 2 different types of radiation intersect?
2) How can energy be transfered?
3) Is it possible to store radiation? and how?
4) Is their any online books for this? can't afford the actual books right now.

And if you could kindly write up your opinion of what physics is I would love to get an idea from someone that has their masters in physics :)

A fast pace you mean...

You should definitely just start studying using a public library and its resources if your school library doesn't help. Wikipedia is also helpful at times.

Your questions are pretty hard to answer because you don't have a proper understanding of 'radiation'. Radiation can be anything from gamma rays (photons) to alpha particles (fully ionized helium) to beta particles (electron/positron). In one case (gamma rays), you can't contain them while something like alpha particles are easy to contain. In either case this has nothing to do with making your idea work.

Another thing to note is that energy is not released like air coming out of a popped balloon when an atom fissions. The energy released during a fission reaction is the actual kinetic energy the 'daughter products' have when they go flying off after the reaction. It's not a substance that is freed upon fission.

Pengwuino said:
A fast pace you mean...

You should definitely just start studying using a public library and its resources if your school library doesn't help. Wikipedia is also helpful at times.

Your questions are pretty hard to answer because you don't have a proper understanding of 'radiation'. Radiation can be anything from gamma rays (photons) to alpha particles (fully ionized helium) to beta particles (electron/positron). In one case (gamma rays), you can't contain them while something like alpha particles are easy to contain. In either case this has nothing to do with making your idea work.

Another thing to note is that energy is not released like air coming out of a popped balloon when an atom fissions. The energy released during a fission reaction is the actual kinetic energy the 'daughter products' have when they go flying off after the reaction. It's not a substance that is freed upon fission.

Thank you :) i will start studying, and I am planning on working on this for a long period of time (4-10 years if possible) so please subscribe to this topic cause i will be back for questions and results :).

Pengwuino said:
A fast pace you mean...

Oops! please excuse my grammatical error, english isn't my forte..

Is it even possible to know what is 100% of an atom's energy? Even if we knew, would it take more than 100% of that atom's energy to obtain all of its energy?

16 years old said:
Thank you :) i will start studying, and I am planning on working on this for a long period of time (4-10 years if possible) so please subscribe to this topic cause i will be back for questions and results :).

in 10 years you'd be about halfway through your phd. it is barely there that you will actually start working

DrClapeyron said:
Is it even possible to know what is 100% of an atom's energy? Even if we knew, would it take more than 100% of that atom's energy to obtain all of its energy?

An atom at rest is given by E=mc^2.

You can't attain even close to 100% of an atom. With even the smallest atoms, you can induce fusion, but the energy harnessed is still a very small % of the entire energy of the atoms. Even after a fusion reaction, you're still left with atoms with almost the same mass. However, that small change in mass for us is still a tremendous amount of energy compared to something like a chemical reaction.

What you COULD do is smash particles together with such tremendous energy that they produce the whole world of particle physics and you could say the mass of those particles are converted into energy. However, at such extreme energies, particles are actually produced and the whole E=mc^2 thing kinda gets thrown in reverse; energy is converted into particles with mass! At that point, you're no longer talking about getting mass to convert into energy; you're getting energy to convert into mass.

1. What is "Project: Using 100% of an Atom's Energy"?

"Project: Using 100% of an Atom's Energy" is a hypothetical project that aims to harness the full energy potential of atoms, rather than just a small fraction of it as is currently possible with nuclear energy. It involves manipulating and controlling individual atoms to release their full energy, which has the potential to provide an almost limitless source of clean and sustainable energy.

2. Is this project currently being worked on?

No, this project is purely theoretical at this point and is not actively being pursued by any scientific institutions or organizations. However, there are ongoing studies and research on how to more efficiently and safely use nuclear energy, which could potentially lead to advancements in this area in the future.

3. What are some potential benefits of using 100% of an atom's energy?

The main benefit of using 100% of an atom's energy would be the availability of a nearly unlimited source of clean and sustainable energy. Unlike fossil fuels, which are finite and contribute to pollution and climate change, harnessing the full energy potential of atoms could provide a constant and reliable source of energy without negative environmental impacts.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to this project?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks and drawbacks to consider. Manipulating atoms and harnessing their full energy potential could be a very complex and difficult process, and any mistakes or accidents could have catastrophic consequences. There are also ethical considerations to take into account, as this technology could potentially be used to create powerful weapons.

5. Is it possible to use 100% of an atom's energy?

Currently, it is not possible to use 100% of an atom's energy. The energy released from atoms in nuclear reactions is only a small fraction of their total energy potential. However, with advancements in technology and scientific understanding, it is possible that we may one day be able to harness the full energy potential of atoms for practical use.