Function Question - Walking and Rowing

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the question asks for the total time for Kelly's trip back to the beach house, taking into account both rowing and jogging. Part a asks to graph the total distance travelled as a function of the distance x from the point P. Part b asks to graph the total time for the trip as a function of x, assuming that Kelly can row at 2 m/s and jog at 4 m/s. Part c asks to estimate the point on the shore at which Kelly should land in order to minimize the total time of her trip, and what that minimum time would be. The solution to part a is d(x) = √(x^2 + 200^2) + (600-x). The solution to
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is a word problem I have come across in the first chapter of my Calculus class. It is an Algebra review chapter. Please see the attached photo for a visual representation.

"Walking and Rowing: Kelly has finished a picnic on an island that is 200m off shore, as shown in the figure. She wants to return to a beach house that is 600m from the point P on the shore closest to the island. She plans to row a boat to a point on shore x meters from P and then jog along the (straight) shore to the house."

a: Let d(x) be the total length of her trip as a function of x. Graph this function.
b: Suppose that Kelly can row at 2 m/s and jog at 4 m/s. Let T(x) be the total time for her trip as a function of x. Graph y = T(x)
c: Based on your graph in part (b), estimate the point on the shore at which Kelly should land in order to minimize the total time of her trip. What is that minimum time?

Homework Equations

[tex]a^2 + b^2 = c^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a: I believe I have found the solution to a. Just using the Pythagorean Theorem and some logic I can see that [itex] d(x)=\sqrt{x^2 + 200^2} + (600-x)[/itex] However, I can't see if I can simplify that any further. It doesn't appear that I can, but I am RUSTY, so I wouldn't be surprised.

b: I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around this question. Is it asking me to graph the function of time with x being the same x as in question A? Or am I overlaying this additional function on top of "a's" graph, and then showing where they intersect? Even if that is the case I am having difficulties seeing how to turn this into a function. T(x)=2x+4x, but it would need some other variable to indicate the distance. What am I missing here?

c: Can't get to that without b.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I've been scratching my head over this one and it is definitely eluding me.

Attachments

• IMAG0993.jpg
    IMAG0993.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

This is a word problem I have come across in the first chapter of my Calculus class. It is an Algebra review chapter. Please see the attached photo for a visual representation.

"Walking and Rowing: Kelly has finished a picnic on an island that is 200m off shore, as shown in the figure. She wants to return to a beach house that is 600m from the point P on the shore closest to the island. She plans to row a boat to a point on shore x meters from P and then jog along the (straight) shore to the house."

a: Let d(x) be the total length of her trip as a function of x. Graph this function.
b: Suppose that Kelly can row at 2 m/s and jog at 4 m/s. Let T(x) be the total time for her trip as a function of x. Graph y = T(x)
c: Based on your graph in part (b), estimate the point on the shore at which Kelly should land in order to minimize the total time of her trip. What is that minimum time?

Homework Equations

a: I believe I have found the solution to a. Just using the Pythagorean Theorem and some logic I can see that [itex] d(x)=\sqrt{x^2 + 200^2} + (600-x)[/itex] However, I can't see if I can simplify that any further. It doesn't appear that I can, but I am RUSTY, so I wouldn't be surprised.

b: I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around this question. Is it asking me to graph the function of time with x being the same x as in question A? Or am I overlaying this additional function on top of "a's" graph, and then showing where they intersect? Even if that is the case I am having difficulties seeing how to turn this into a function. T(x)=2x+4x, but it would need some other variable to indicate the distance. What am I missing here?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I've been scratching my head over this one and it is definitely eluding me.

Your d(x) = total distance travelled, rowing + jogging. That is not what the question asks about; it asks about total _time_ and wants you to minimize that. Hints: what is the rowing time in terms of x? What is the jogging time in terms of x? What is the total time?

RGV

MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Using your d(x),
how much time does it take to travel a distance of [itex]\sqrt{x^2 + 200^2}[/itex] meters at 2 m/s ?

How much time does it take to travel a distance of [itex]600-x[/itex] meters at 4 m/s ?​
Sum those times.

Thank you, Ray

I was right in the middle of another question when SammyS posted, and that may have cleared some things up, but thank you for your reply.

SammyS,

Thank you, I was completely failing to make the connection between the land and water functions wrt time. I still am not sure if this is correct, but how does [itex]T(x)= 2\sqrt{x^2+200^2}+4(600-x)[/itex] look?

Something seems wrong. It doesn't graph quite the way I expected it to.

Last edited:
MacLaddy said:
Thank you, Ray

I was right in the middle of another question when SammyS posted, and that may have cleared some things up, but thank you for your reply.

SammyS,

Thank you, I was completely failing to make the connection between the land and water functions wrt time. I still am not sure if this is correct, but how does [itex]T(x)= 2\sqrt{x^2+200^2}+4(600-x)[/itex] look?

Something seems wrong. It doesn't graph quite the way I expected it to.

If I row 100 m at 10 m per minute, how many minutes do I row? is it 100*10 or 100/10?

RGV

[tex]\text{speed} = \frac{\text{distance}}{\text{time}}[/tex]
Rearrange to give time on the LHS.

Ah, thanks everyone for the assistance. The comments above and some sleep helped me to see that solution.
[tex]T(x)=(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+200^2}}{2})+(\frac{(600-x)}{4})[/tex]

1. How does walking and rowing impact cardiovascular health?

Regular walking and rowing can improve cardiovascular health by strengthening the heart and increasing blood flow. Both activities are considered aerobic exercises, which can lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, and improve overall heart function.

2. Which activity burns more calories - walking or rowing?

Rowing is a more intense workout and typically burns more calories per hour than walking. However, the number of calories burned will depend on factors such as the individual's weight, intensity level, and duration of the activity.

3. Can walking and rowing help with weight loss?

Both walking and rowing can contribute to weight loss when combined with a healthy diet. Walking at a moderate pace can burn approximately 300 calories per hour, while rowing can burn around 600 calories per hour. Consistently incorporating these activities into a weight loss plan can lead to significant results over time.

4. Is walking or rowing better for building muscle?

While rowing does engage more muscles in the upper body, both activities can help build muscle in different areas. Walking can strengthen muscles in the legs and core, while rowing can target the back, arms, and shoulders. To build muscle, it is recommended to incorporate both activities into a fitness routine.

5. Are there any risks or precautions to consider when walking and rowing?

As with any physical activity, there are some risks and precautions to consider when walking and rowing. It is important to start slow and gradually increase intensity to avoid injury. Individuals with pre-existing health conditions should consult a doctor before starting a new exercise routine. It is also crucial to use proper form and equipment to prevent strain or injury.