Which compound is more acidic? (without using pkA value) HCl or H2SO4

• Thread starter Kaede_N9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Value
In summary, the acidity of a compound can be determined by its pKa value, with a lower pKa indicating a stronger acid. However, if a pKa table is not available, the electronegativity and inductive effects of the central atom can also be considered. In the case of HCl and H2SO4, H2SO4 has a lower pKa and therefore is the stronger acid. Additionally, the resonance stabilization of the conjugate base in H2SO4 can also contribute to its acidity.
Kaede_N9

Homework Statement

Which compound is more acidic? (without using pkA value)

HCl or H2SO4

Homework Equations

Electronegativity.
Inductive effect.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since sulfur is more electronegative compared to cholrine, H2SO4 is more acidic than HCl...
So then I think of how I could use inductive effect instead of electronegativity to verify this claim.

Since sulfur is more electronegative compared to oxygen it shall pull away electrons slightly, more than chlorine on hydrogen?
I don't think it'll work since there are a 3 oxygens around sulfur and so the combined electronegativity outweighs that of sulfur?

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have no idea what it means to be "more acidic". And I am deadly serious, I am not aware of any definition of acidity. The way I see it it can mean one of two things - acid strength (in which case HCl is "more acidic"), or ability to neutralize base (similarly to alkalinity) - in which case H2SO4 as diprotic is more acidic.

Poorly worded question.

Original question:
For the following pairs of compounds, predict which one will be the strongest acid
and justify your choice.

Answer:
Between HCl and H2SO4, H2SO4 has a lower pKa (~-9) than HCl (~7) and so it is a stronger acid compared to HCl.

I wanted to answer this question without using a pKa table so I tried comparing the electronegativity of the central atoms, and as wel as their inductive effects. Not sure if inductive effect would work though.

Also consider that resonance stabilization of the conjugate base occurs in H2SO4.

Kaede_N9 said:
Between HCl and H2SO4, H2SO4 has a lower pKa (~-9) than HCl (~7)

Apparently it depends on the source used. Kotrly & Sucha (Handbook of Chemical Equilibria in Analytical Chemistry) list sulfuric acid pKa1 as -3, Hulanicki (Reactions of acids and bases in analytical chemistry) lists pKa of HCl as -4.

1. What is the definition of acidity?

The acidity of a compound refers to its ability to donate a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction.

2. Why can't we use pKa values to determine which compound is more acidic?

pKa values are specific to individual compounds and cannot be used to compare the overall acidity of different compounds.

3. How do we determine which compound is more acidic without using pKa values?

We can compare the acidities of compounds by looking at their chemical structures and considering factors such as the strength of their bonds and the stability of their conjugate bases.

4. How do the chemical structures of HCl and H2SO4 affect their acidity?

The presence of multiple oxygen atoms in H2SO4 makes it more likely to donate a proton, making it a stronger acid than HCl.

5. Can other factors, such as temperature, affect the acidity of these compounds?

Yes, temperature can affect the acidity of a compound by changing its physical properties and altering the strength of its bonds.