Integral of speed as a function of displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the distance traveled after a specific period of time, given a speed/velocity function described as a function of displacement. The use of path integrals and integration by parts is mentioned, and the equation for finding the position at a specific time is provided. The conversation also explores different scenarios and considerations for finding a solution, ultimately concluding that the problem is an inverse one where the boundary of the integral is the variable to be solved.
Paul Czerner
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to do an integral of a speed/velocity function v(x) described as a function of displacement (the speed changes based on the position of the particle). I want to know the distance traveled after a specific period of time, and I can't figure out how to formulate the integral for that.

Do path integrals or integration by parts play a role in this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have dx/dt = f(x)?
Turn that into dt = dx/f(x) and integrate, if you can:

t = [itex]\int[/itex](1/f(x)).dx

However, you mentioned path integrals, so maybe there's more than one space dimension here?
Please provide the actual equation.

I don't have a specific problem to show, just an idea I want to follow up on.

It may be true that there are no path integrals (as of yet) as you mention involved in the problem, just one dimension so far. But I mention it just in case the solution may require expansion of the problem into more dimensions to find the solution.

I've tried the integrating for t that you show, but maybe I'm not stating the problem correctly. I want to find the solution after a specific time t1 of the distance traveled, given the speed (one dimension) as it changes based on position x, so the displacement x' depends on position x and time t.

I guess I'm looking for something in the form:

x' = f(v(x),t1),

and I'm sure it takes at least some form of integral. The velocity is a function of time only so far as it changes as it crosses space, and the position in space changes the velocity. Would it make sense to have a function of space as it changes over time, maybe stretching the space variable while keeping velocity constant with respect to a stretching space? Maybe I have to generate acceleration functions before going back to derive displacement? Or is there a simple solution I haven't remembered from my college days?

There must be some answer to something like this already, though I have been searching online and haven't found it yet, unless it's more complex than I'm familiar with. I'm thinking of solutions to a particle moving through a space-dependent force field.

Thanks in advance for any headway help.

As I understand it, you have speed v = v(x), so
t = ∫(1/v(x)).dx
If you want to know the position x1 reached at time t1 then you have to solve
t1 = [itex]∫^{x1}_{0}[/itex](1/v(x)).dx

E.g. suppose v(x) = a.x + b
t1 = [ln(x+b/a)/a[itex]]^{x1}_{0}[/itex] = (ln(x1+b/a) - ln(b/a)]/a
a.x1 = b.exp(a.t1) - b

If that's not what you're trying to do, please pick a specific v=v(x) so that we an discuss it more clearly.

haruspex said:
As I understand it, you have speed v = v(x), so
t = ∫(1/v(x)).dx
If you want to know the position x1 reached at time t1 then you have to solve
t1 = [itex]∫^{x1}_{0}[/itex](1/v(x)).dx

E.g. suppose v(x) = a.x + b
t1 = [ln(x+b/a)/a[itex]]^{x1}_{0}[/itex] = (ln(x1+b/a) - ln(b/a)]/a
a.x1 = b.exp(a.t1) - b

If that's not what you're trying to do, please pick a specific v=v(x) so that we an discuss it more clearly.

Thank you, it's kind of what I was looking for; basically, as you confirmed, it's an inverse problem where the variable that is to be solved is the boundary of the integral. I'll work on this a bit and see what I come up with.

What is the meaning of "Integral of speed as a function of displacement"?

The integral of speed as a function of displacement is a mathematical concept that represents the total distance traveled by an object as a function of its velocity. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often used to calculate the displacement of an object over a certain period of time.

How is the integral of speed as a function of displacement calculated?

The integral of speed as a function of displacement is calculated by finding the area under the speed-time graph. This can be done using calculus, where the integral of the speed function is taken with respect to displacement.

What is the physical significance of the integral of speed as a function of displacement?

The physical significance of the integral of speed as a function of displacement is that it represents the total displacement or distance traveled by an object. This can be useful in understanding the motion of an object and predicting its future position.

How is the integral of speed as a function of displacement related to acceleration?

The integral of speed as a function of displacement is related to acceleration through the fundamental theorem of calculus. The derivative of the integral of speed with respect to displacement is equal to the speed function, which is equal to the acceleration of the object.

Can the integral of speed as a function of displacement be negative?

Yes, the integral of speed as a function of displacement can be negative. This can occur when the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position, resulting in a negative displacement. It can also happen when the object is decelerating, causing a decrease in its velocity and a negative integral value.